Wednesday, August 20, 2014

One Dirty Bowl: Fast Baking, Faster Cleanup by Christina Dymock (Book Review)

One-Dirty-Bowl-Blog-Tour-Christina-Dymock
 
Front CoverBaking doesn't have to take all day or make a mess in the kitchen. With One Dirty Bowl: Fast Desserts, Faster Cleanup, you'll have the recipes and easy-to-follow instructions to help you make show-stopping from-scratch desserts in no time. All you need is a little time and one bowl! And, since you'll only have one bowl to clean, you'll use these recipes over and over again.
 
 
Image of Christina Dymock
Christina Dymock was once at a dinner party where her husband was teasing her about the frosting-to-cupcake ratio on her dessert. The woman sitting across from them sniffed her delicate nose and said, "If my husband gave me a hard time about my frosting I'd quit baking. That'd show him." To which Christina's husband replied while pointing at his speechless wife, "Try to stop her!"
Christina divides her time between the kitchen and her computer and books and her family of six. (Naturally, the family gets the biggest share.) Because she reads everything, she also feels compelled to write in several genres.
Purchase on Amazon in these formats (click one):
Here’s what others are saying about the book:
“As a busy mother of five and cookbook author, I dirty a load of dishes daily. With recipes from One Dirty Bowl, I now can whip up a delicious dessert in minutes while only dirtying one bowl. That is a win-win for everyone. Spending less time in the kitchen means more time with my family. Bravo for One Dirty Bowl                       -Shauna Evans, author of Sweet and Savory, Skinny-licious, and 30-Minute Meals for Families.
“From cookies to mini cakes and cheesecakes, One Dirty Bowl is full of sweet little bites that are perfect for the busy dessert-lover! It’s a delicious go-to!”                    -Courtney Whitmore, author of Frostings, Push-up Pops, and Candy Making for Kids.
My thoughts on the book:
I really enjoyed this cookbook, One dirty Bowl. As the title suggests, you only need one bowl (besides all of the measuring cups, spoons, etc.) At 136 pages, it is a nice size cookbook that would be the perfect starting point for a novice baker.
The cover of the book is nice and draws the reader to the book and the beautiful pictures inside of the book help you to visualize what your product should look like when all the baking is said and done. I would have appreciated more pictures as I am a visual person, but there was a nice selection. The book contains six chapters, covering small treats, brownies, bars, breads, cookies, candies, cakes, cobblers, and pies. The recipes have anywhere from two to sixteen ingredients.
A few of the recipes that I thought were excellent were the Cookie-Bottom Individual Cheesecakes (Pg. 8-9), Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (Pg. 56-57), Raspberry Meringue Cookies (Pg. 60-61), and the Moist Chocolate Cake (Pg. 94-95).
I felt the recipes were well-written and quite easy to follow, even for the novice, although I consider myself an advanced baker. The pictures were beautiful and enticing. I am giving One Dirty Bowl four stars. It would be a lovely addition to anyone's collection or a gift for a new bride.
 
My Life. One Story at a Time. is an Amazon advertising affiliate; a small fee is earned when purchases are made at Amazon through the link above. A free book may have been provided by the source in exchange for an honest review. Views expressed by authors are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of My Life. One Story at a Time. My opinions are my own. This provided in accordance with the FTC 16 CFR, Part 55.