Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Message in Dad's Bottle by Sandy Appleyard (Review)

My father was an alcoholic all his adult life, and the disease took his life at the age of forty-one. When I was ten years old, I became exposed to alcoholism. This book describes what I saw, my reactions to it, and how each situation made me feel. Most importantly, this book illustrates how these factors shaped who I am today. It also focuses on the experiences of others in my life and how each coped with their own alcoholic family member. Included in this section is helpful advice from each person to those who may also be touched by alcoholism. I also share with the reader some of my poems that I have written to help me deal with my past and explain the significance of each.
(From Amazon) Sandy Appleyard was born and raised in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. She currently resides in Milton, Ontario, with her husband and two daughters. She has a diploma in business administration, and majored in human resources management; and graduated with honors from Humber College-North Campus in Toronto, Ontario, in 2000. This is Sandy's first book, although she has completed one other that is not yet published. "I am inspired to write mostly by love and the desire to help others through words. I have written many poems for many people to help them in their time of need, and I have also written to help people celebrate life. I wrote this book as a tribute to my father, and I felt it fitting to have it published during the year of what would have been his sixtieth birthday."
My Review:
The cover of the book is unusual and indicative of the story inside. I found the book to be very informative about how alcoholism not only affects the person doing the drinking, but also the immediate family, co-workers, and beyond. Everyone in an alcoholics life is affected by the drinking and therefore alcoholism may be seen as a pebble being dropped into a puddle of water with its ripple effect.
As a book, I felt the writing was redundant. There was a lot of repetition in the sentences as well as paragraphs. I felt as though I were reading the same information over and over. But, as a conversation, the book then takes on a different angle and I feel has much more merit. I found myself very unsure on how to rate the book and therefore decided not to. THE MESSAGE IN DAD'S BOTTLE is a quick read and does show the effects of alcoholism on family dynamics.
Purchase THE MESSAGE IN DAD'S BOTTLE on Amazon in Kindle or Paperback.
I was given a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.