Monday, March 24, 2014

Sleigh Bells in the Snow by Sarah Morgan (Review)

USA TODAY bestselling author Sarah Morgan heats up the season with the O'Neil brothers in a brand-new holiday series!
Once upon a time, Christmas was Kayla Green's favorite time of year. Now all the workaholic wants for Christmas is for it to be over—as fast as possible! So when duty calls her to snowy Vermont to close a deal with a new client, Kayla is grateful for an excuse to avoid the holidays for another year.
Jackson O'Neil left a thriving business behind to return home and salvage his family's resort—it's in his blood, and he can't let it fail. Now that he's got marketing whiz Kayla Green working with him to put Snow Crystal on the map, success is on the horizon. The fact they strike enough sparks off each other to power all the Christmas lights in Vermont is just an added bonus.
Kayla might be an expert at her job, but she's out of her depth with Jackson—he makes her crave the happy-ever-after she once dreamed of, and it's terrifying. As the snowflakes continue to swirl, will the woman who doesn't believe in the magic of Christmas finally fall under its spell?

  • File Size: 548 KB
  • Print Length: 378 pages
  • Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0373778554
  • Publisher: Harlequin HQN (October 29, 2013)

The Author (from the author's website):
USA Today bestselling author Sarah Morgan writes hot, happy contemporary romance and her trademark humour and sensuality have gained her fans across the globe. Described as ‘a magician with words’ by RT Book Reviews, she has sold over 11 million copies of her books. She has been nominated three years in succession for the prestigious RITA© Award from the Romance Writers of America and won the award twice; in 2012 for her book‘Doukakis’s Apprentice’ and 2013 for ‘A Night of No Return. She also won the RT Reviewers’ Choice Award in 2012 and has made numerous appearances in their ‘Top Pick’ slot.
As a child Sarah dreamed of being a writer and although she took a few interesting detours along the way, she is now living that dream.
Sarah lives near London with her husband and children, and when she isn’t reading or writing she loves being outdoors, preferably on vacation so she can forget the house needs tidying.
Some fun facts about the author:
  1. I knew I wanted to be a writer when I was eight years old.
  2. I love horses, mountains, movies, good food, books, music and anything that makes me laugh.
  3. I trained as a nurse and worked for a few years in the ER, but George Clooney was never on my shift so I decided to do something different.
  4. I fell in love with my husband at work because he was cool and calm in a crisis and my life is one big crisis.
  5. We have two sons, which basically means that I have three men in the house. And piles of laundry.
  6. I completed my first full manuscript when I was at home with a new baby.
  7. I write on a laptop with the internet disconnected.
A Few Questions
When did you start writing?
I scribbled stories as a child and carried on scribbling – different things, children’s books, thrillers, anything that came into my head and excited me enough to want to write it down. I trained as a nurse and it was only when I was at home with my first baby that I actually finished a book. Typing ‘the end’ on something felt like progress. I sent it to Harlequin and it was rejected, but the comments were positive so I tried again, and again. It never entered my head to give up. On the third attempt my first Medical Romance was accepted. That was an exciting day!
How do you come up with an idea for a book?
Ideas are everywhere! The skill is turning those ideas into a compelling story with strong conflict that keeps readers hooked. I read a lot. Books, newspapers and magazines; I talk to people – observe human behaviour and always I ask myself ‘what if’ – what if they’d made this decision instead of that one? Done this instead of that? It’s a fascinating exercise. We all make mistakes in life. We all face difficult decisions. I try and create that for my characters.
How do you get started on a new manuscript?
A story comes to me in different ways. Sometimes I will suddenly think of a line of dialogue, and that might be enough to tell me a great deal about a character and the way they are going to respond to situations. I might imagine a single scene and build the book from there. Once I have that first idea, I let the story flow. I play with the idea, make sure the conflict is strong, that the motivation is solid. Most of all I think about the characters – I work hard to make them real people, with flaws and qualities, doubts and fears, and most of all with a problem! If there’s no problem, there’s no story. I look for trouble.
My thoughts on the book:
I thought Sleigh Bells in the Snow was a charming Christmas love story. It is a story of a workaholic woman sent out to the picturesque town of Snow Crystal, Vermont to help a handsome man save his family's resort. Throw in an eccentric misunderstood grandfather and a large family and chaos is bound to erupt - big time!
SLEIGH BELLS IN THE SNOW is the first book in the Snow Crystal trilogy, each starring one of the handsome O'Neil brothers. While the story was well written, it was reminiscent of a couple of other stories I've read. Everyone loves a Christmas love story and I am no exception. The author wove a wonderful story with snow filled days and warm, cozy fireplaces at night. There was good food and wine and plenty of fun throughout the book.
SLEIGH BELLS IN THE SNOW was well written with well developed characters. There were no grammatical errors to speak of and the book had a fairytale ending. I am going to give the book five stars. I am looking forward to the other two books in the trilogy.
Purchase Sleigh Bells in the Snow by clicking the icon below:
My Life. One Story at a Time. is an Amazon advertising affiliate; a small fee is earned when purchases are made at Amazon through the link above. A free book was provided by the source in exchange for an honest review. Views expressed by authors are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of My Life. OSAAT. My opinions are my own. This provided in accordance with the FTC 16 CFR, Part 55. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.