Thursday, February 13, 2014

Image of Lisa Van Allen

Hi, I'm Lisa Van Allen. My first novel--a mystery about a guy walking around on a beach in scuba flippers--did not attract a large audience in the second grade, though the critical response from the school principal and my grandparents was very promising.Now, I'm writing full-time, and every day's a dream. I live a quiet life in New Jersey that's filled with books, poems, and the company of my husband, our pet hedgehog, my family, my community, and a few good friends. Amazing. And while I don't know where it all will go I'm enjoying every second of it, a second at a time.

THE WISHING THREAD: For centuries, the Van Ripper women have been the talk of Tarrytown, New York, the folklore-laden village where Washington Irving’s Headless Horseman once roamed. Some say they’re angels. Others say they’re crooks. For it’s in the mysterious Stitchery Yarn Shop located in the ramshackle neighborhood of Tappan Square where the Van Ripper women are believed to have the power to grant wishes by stitching them into the fibers of hats, scarves and mittens. When the Stitchery’s matriarch unexpectedly dies, it’s up to her three nieces – estranged sisters Aubrey, Bitty and Meggie – to come together and decide the fate of the Stitchery – and with it, the fate of their family legacy.
Van Allen’s gift for capturing human emotion and blending it so seamlessly with a spark of the supernatural is the backbone of Lisa Van Allen’s THE WISHING THREAD (A Ballantine Books Trade Paperback Original; On Sale August 27, 2013) – and the process Van Allen undergoes to create her novels is nothing short of magical. She starts each one with a shoebox in her office in which she collects pictures, objects, fabrics, scribbles, and so on, and she keeps adding to it until all the flavors marry and become a cohesive story. The result? This enchanting novel that sits before you. A treasure trove of legends, folklore, and knitting, THE WISHING THREAD is a mesmerizing tale that weaves together the special bond between sisters and the transformational power of love.
My Review:

I absolutely loved this book. The cover was both beautiful and intriguing and the more I got into the story, the more meaningful it became. THE WISHING THREAD was a magical story about love of family and traditions traveling down through time. It was about how much a person would give up to continue their legacy, and how love can overcome all.

THE WISHING THREAD was a book I did not want to put down. I loved the comaraderie between the sisters and learning about each one and how their journey in life was so very different and drew them apart, and yet life brought them back together.

It is said that wishes have been knitted into garments at their little home and wishes have come true. It is mystical and full of folk lore and mystery and just a wonderful story. I truly enjoyed every word of the book.

I am giving THE WISHING THREAD five stars. It was great. The writing was good. The story was intriguing.

I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. 

Purchase The Wishing Thread on Amazon:
The Wishing Thread: A Novel
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.