Thursday, September 5, 2013

Review: The perfect murder is a work of art - AGAINST THE MARK

Image of Kat Martin

The perfect murder is a work of art 

Currently living near Missoula, MontanaKat Martin is the bestselling author of over fifty-five Historical and Contemporary Romance novels, currently an NYT bestselling author of the romantic suspense AGAINST series. Before she started writing in 1985, Kat was a real estate broker. During that time, she met her husband, L. J. Martin, also an author with over 33 book length works. Kat is a graduate of the University of California at Santa Barbara, where she majored in Anthropology and also studied History. "I love anything old," Kat says. "I love to travel and especially like to visit the places where my books are set. My husband and I often stay in out-of-the-way inns and houses built in times past. It's fun and it gives a wonderful sense of a by-gone era."

To date, Kat has over fifteen million copies of her books in print. She is published more than two dozen foreign countries, including Germany, Norway, Sweden, China, Korea, Bulgaria, Russia, England, South Africa, Italy, Spain, Argentina, Japan and Greece.

Kat Martin Website:

Travelin’ and Writin’

Earlier this year, as a gift to myself for completing AGAINST THE MARK, my next Romantic Suspense, out the end of August, my husband and I embarked on a cruise aboard the Silversea’s Silver Wind.

With only a hundred and fifty passengers on our leg of the voyage, the food and service in the ship’s four restaurants was spectacular.  After four days in Athens, we boarded at the port of Piraeus to begin a ten day journey that would take us to several small Greek islands, then a stop in the tiny country of Malta.  From there we would be heading to Sorrento, Sicily, and ending the cruise in Rome.

Athens was amazing, a mix of ancient and modern that is entirely captivating.  Ancient Greek ruins line the sidewalks, in contrast to the cars roaring past at appalling speed.  In the middle of the city, the Acropolis stands guard at the top of a granite mountain, overlooking the sprawling metropolis below. 

The seas were calm those first few days.  As we traveled by bus through the Greek countryside, the people were warm and friendly, the ancient historical ruins amazing.  We took pictures of the original Olympic stadium--where the competitors were all male and competed in the nude!  Unfortunately, no female spectators were allowed--where was women’s lib in those days?
My husband fell in love with Malta, a city built entirely of the same golden yellow stone.  At dusk, with the sun reflecting of the walls of the old fortress, it’s quite a sight to see.

In Rome, we rented an apartment in a four-hundred year old building, a place with thick stone walls, hand-hewn beams in the living room, and tile floors through out.  Fortunately, it had been remodeled and had all the modern conveniences.  Located in the heart of the city, the apartment was surrounded by cobbled streets and all the most exclusive shops. 

I found the property on the internet, paid the rent directly to the owner, and crossed my fingers the descriptions of the apartment were at least somewhat correct --and that it actually existed.
As much as I’ve traveled, I knew it was a risk.  We got lucky, but best advice is to go through a legitimate travel agency.   

Our European trip ended with four days in Paris, my favorite city.  Last year, I was asked to do an interview for a French digital magazine.  The publisher and I stayed in touch, and she arranged a wonderful lunch with a group of Parisian fans--oh, if only I could learn to speak French!

Try as I might, I have meet with no success.

The trip was amazing, but travel is always exhausting.  I was glad to be back home and gearing up for the release of AGAINST THE MARK.  You met Ty Brodie in AGAINST THE NIGHT, when he worked with P.I., John Riggs.  He appeared again with Ben Slocum in AGAINST THE EDGE

Now it’s time for Ty’s story.  In AGAINST THE MARK, Ty meets Haley Warren, a sexy blonde from Chicago who hires him to help her uncover the truth about her father’s death.  Was the explosion that killed him an accident?  Or was it murder, as her stepmother believes? 

Fighting a fierce attraction neither of them wants to feel, they follow a trail of clues that takes them into the art world, where old master paintings sell for tens of millions of dollars--plenty of motive for murder. 

Enough to put Ty and Haley in deadly danger.  

I hope you’ll watch for AGAINST THE MARK, the ninth book in my AGAINST Series.  And that next year, you’ll look for Ty’s cousins, the Brodie brothers, starting with Dylan Brodie in AGAINST THE WILD.

Tell me one of your favorite cities! Do you like cruises?
Till then happy reading and have a great summer.   Kat 

P.S. Visit my website Or join my Facebook page. 

To win a copy of Kat's latest book, just leave a comment answering the above question - What is your favorite city?
Winner will receive their choice - e-book or paper. Please remember to leave your email for contact purposes.

I do love a man who takes charge and AGAINST THE MARK has several. If you are a fan of Kat Martin, you will definitely love the latest in this series. I know that I am looking forward to the next book. 

I am giving AGAINST THE MARK five stars. 

Pub Date   

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. No compensation was received.

Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.


Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.