Monday, July 8, 2013

Springtime in Valentine, Louisiana

I love springtime in Valentine. Our crepe myrtles bloom and stretch across the driveway forming a tunnel. It is so much fun to drive or walk down the driveway. One of the clips is me walking down the drive, the other driving.

Each of these trees began as a small cutting from a tree in my dad's yard. We had a hurricane blow through when they were all about three feet tall, and Hubby made me go out and cut them back to almost nothing (in fact, he went behind me and bushwacked them) because they were not strong enough to make it through the sustained winds of a hurricane. I admit freely that I cried while I cut them. It was, in fact, the right decision and they grew back quickly.

About the time they were about five feet tall, another hurricane was heading for us. Once again, and with tears streaming down my face, I was told to cut them back. I did, and then Hubby went behind me and really cut them back. The hurricane came and went, along with another, and eventually they grew back stronger than ever. 

And, here they are in all their glory. I hope you enjoy.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.