Friday, June 14, 2013

Texas Hold 'Em by Kay David (Review)

  Image of Kay David

The Book

Part law enforcement. Part criminal. And all deliciously bad…

Working undercover as part of an elite team of Rangers disguised as the Smokin’ ACES biker gang, Timothy Santos walks the thin line between law-enforcer and law-breaker. With one of his informants missing—and possibly dead—at the hands of vicious cartel leader El Brujo, Santos will do whatever it takes to find justice. Even if it means heading to Rio County to look up his former lover…who’s not only the sheriff, but Santos’s only lead.

Rose Renwick is not happy to see Santos. In the past, their chemistry had been explosive—raw, sensual, and unforgettable—but she’d been burned. Now Santos is back in town, looking just as lethal and as irresistible as she remembered. But Santos wants something from her—and suddenly Rose’s family is in danger and her town is under attack. The only way out is to trust the one man she swore never to trust again. Ante up...

Masterfully crafted, Kay David launches her new series with a touching romance and tense page-turner suspense set against the gritty backdrop of Texas drug cartels and warring biker gangs. You won't be able to put this one down.” – B.J. Daniels, USA Today Bestselling author of the Chisholm Cattle Company Series

Kay David

Kay David is the author of over thirty-five romantic suspense novels. Her childhood was spent on the Gulf Coast of Texas where she grew up in a family of book lovers. Earning a BA degree in English Literature, an MA in Behavioral Sciences and a second BA in Information Systems, all from the University of Houston in Clear Lake City, she has enjoyed various careers including computer programming at NASA, custom home building and working in the oil and gas industry.

Kay and her husband have lived extensively outside of the United States. Spending time in such diverse countries as the United Arab Emirates, Argentina and Bolivia has made her appreciate her own great state of Texas while allowing her to add intimate details to her books of the exotic settings she knows firsthand.

She splits her time between Texas and Florida with her Bengal cat, Jake right by her side.

Visit Kay David's website:

Did you play your hand of Texas Hold 'Em?
The Smokin' Aces are wild and author Kay David is dealing a heck of tour through June 14th!  And if you play your cards right, you just may be the winner of a pair of Harley Davidson earrings!
Take a gamble and join Kay's tour and see if lady luck is on your side!  To find out where the cards are stacking up, I've attached a link to Kay's blog tour schedule:

Guest Post

Motorcycle Mania by Kay David

I’ve lived overseas on and off for many years, but I’ve noticed one universal thing; people on motorcycles like to go fast.

We have traffic laws in the United States that hinder this need for speed.  I’m pretty sure they have the same laws in Argentina, where I lived for two years.  But those laws are interpreted as suggestions rather than rules in that country and many others.

You know that song, Don’t Cry for Me, Argentina?  I felt like crying for the riders in the horrific traffic in Buenos Aires.  The boulevards are wide and beautiful, lined with green spaces, statues, and sidewalk cafes.  Once, while stuck in traffic, I even saw a couple dancing the tango in one of the parks beside the street.  They had their music playing and an audience clapping.  It was an amazing sight.

Then, out of the blue came a suicidal motorcyclist. He wore a helmet but I don’t think it would have helped if he’d crashed.  The throaty  roar of his motorcycle drown out the music, of course, and the spell was broken.

I’m not being judgmental here.  If I drove in Buenos Aires every day, I’d try to beat the traffic the very same way.  Weaving in between the lanes, gunning it when possible, parking on the sidewalks, driving on the sidewalks… None of these are unusual driving techniques in many of the places I’ve lived, and I’m pretty sure it’s the same way in the places I haven’t lived.

In Texas,  the setting for my book TEXAS HOLD’EM, motorcycle drivers under 21 aren’t allowed to ride without helmets, as of 2010. Unless I read the law wrong,(which would not be surprising since I’m a writer and not an attorney) over age 21, riders are not required to wear a helmet as long as they complete a course of rider training or have $10,000 of medical insurance covering injuries resulting from a motorcycle accident.

I don’t know about you, but I find that last clause a little bothersome.

The heros and heroines of Smokin’ ACES, the series launched by TEXAS HOLD’EM,  are undercover Texas Rangers.  They know the laws and accept them.  If they were ordinary riders,  if there is such a thing as an ordinary motorcycle rider,  I’m sure they’d wear helmets whether the law required them or not.  But they’re posing as a motorcycle gang that strays past the line, and I’m not talking about the white one of the road.

If you’re wearing cuts (that’s a subject for upcoming blog at Kay David's blog, so stay tuned) and patches (ditto), you don’t always wear a helmet because it’s not considered cool.  ACES do a lot of things that are dangerous, but if they didn’t, we wouldn’t read about them, right?

In the real world we need to stay safe. 

Interview with Kay David

Please tell us a little about yourself.

I grew up on the Gulf Coast of Texas in a family of book lovers. Mom, Dad, brother, sister—we all had our noses stuck in a book as often as we could!  I have a BA degree in English Literature, an MA in Behavioral Sciences and a second BA in Information Systems, all from the University of Houston in Clear Lake City.  I obviously couldn’t decide what I wanted to be when I grew up.  Accordingly, I’ve enjoyed various careers including computer programming at NASA, custom home building and working in the oil and gas industry. I’m married, split my time between Texas and Florida, and a Bengal cat named Jake!

TEXAS HOLD’EM came about because I have a love for west Texas that my parents instilled in me while I was still in high school.  The ranch they owned was near Marfa, Texas.  At that time, no one had ever heard of Marfa and now it’s a mecca for artists etc.  It was—and still is—an amazing place. I wanted to capture that setting and those strong West Texas people for the Smokin’ ACES series.

What is your favorite pastime, other than writing?

Well, of course that would be reading!  But I live a few blocks from an incredible shopping area so I can entertain myself there for hours. I can surf the internet for hours, too.  What did we do with ourselves before we had the ‘net?

Who is a writer that inspires you and why?

I belong to a critique group of three writers: Amanda Stevens, Heather MacAllister, and Olivia Drake. Each one of them inspire me in a different way. They’re great researchers, they’re fantastic plotters, and out of the air, they produce incredible characters.  There’s a movie line where the hero tells the heroine “You make me want to be a better man.”  These guys all make me want to be a better writer.
What was the biggest challenge you faced writing this book?

Until I joined the Entangled Suspense line, my biggest challenge with TEXAS HOLD’EM was finding someone who shared my vision of the story! Entangled is fantastic all the way around, but they really encourage their authors to think outside the box and write what I call ‘the new hero.’  The man who appeals to women now is not the same kind of hero romance novels featured twenty, or even ten, years ago, and Entangled ‘gets’ that better than a lot of the more traditional publishers.

It’s a cliché, but my best advice is start writing.  Don’t tell me you’re ‘going to write a book someday’ or that you have ‘plenty of stories’ to share and when you get the time, you’ll tell me and I can write them for you.  Just do it, as the commercial says.  If you need extra motivation, join a writer’s group, like Romance Writers of America. Finally, never, ever, never, ever give up!

In what ways do you keep moving forward, in your personal and professional life?

This is a great question because I think we all need to keep moving forward.  Standing still allows the rest of the world to pass you, and before you know it, you’re too far back to catch up. 

I constantly try to set new goals for myself and push to achieve them.  I look to the future and not to the past. And last, but not least, I read continuously.  There are so many great books out there!  Reading something that takes away my breath motivates me to do better.
Do you feel more confident in your work now?
I’m more confident in some ways and less confident in others!  I feel as if I know the market a lot better now, and I understand what my readers want from me, but at the same time, I read some of my earlier books and go “What on earth was I thinking?”  I’m not sure that being more confident is always a good thing.  If you’re so confident that you believe you can’t improve then you probably can’t–for reasons other than what you think!
Who inspired you to go after what you want?

If you stay in the game, you can win.  If you don’t even play,  you’ll never achieve your goals. Every writer who experiences a difficult time in their professional life but keeps going inspires me. Every writer who gets better with each book inspires me.  Every writer who simply writes inspires me.

My mother and father taught me that lesson as well.  The message they continually passed on was “You just have to try hard enough and you can accomplish anything you want.”  I wrote five complete books before I made my first sale.  I don’t think I would have had the perseverance to keep going without their voices inside my head saying that over and over.

My Review

What can I say, except this book is hot, sizzling hot. Add to that, suspense filled, nail-biting, romance, and secrets. I don't think there is anything this book doesn't have, although I don't know if the cover would have enticed me to buy the book. I think a real (flesh and blood) hot guy on a Harley would have done it though. 

The author had me in her grip with the first page and I actually had to set a timer so I would remember to cook dinner. Kay David, in my opinion, can definitely write adventure. I felt as though I were flying down the bumpy dirt roads of Mexico along with Santos and Rose, hanging on for dear life. I literally crept through the shadows along the walls to find out how had been murdered. Kay had me holding my breath in anticipation of what was going to happen next. Texas Hold 'Em is a page turner full of twists and turns that you won't see coming. 

"That was the only way to catch someone like El Brujo. Santos had been chasing the brutal cartel leader, who real name was Pablo Ortega, for two years from behind a desk when he'd learned some of the west Texas motorcycle gangs, including the one they had tangled with tonight, provided muscle for Ortega. Convincing the powers-that-be to let him take the investigation undercover, he'd hand picked a group of agents and formed ACES, the Ammunition, Contraband, and Explosive Suppression team. In the field, they'd become Smokin' Aces, a renegade biker gang."

"When Jessie returned and saw Raymond Bentley's face, she motioned him over to the couch as well. Why the hell couldn't they do their jobs without getting beat-up? her disgusted expression said. If she'd been there, she could have put Nasty down for good and not even broken a sweat. Bently shuffled over and sat down beside Santos. The agent's ginger hair was spiked with dirt, and since he'd started the brawl tonight, his face was almost as bloody as Santos's."


a Rafflecopter giveaway

Disclaimer/Disclosure. I received a complimentary copy of this book with no obligation for a positive review. No compensation – monetary or in kind – has been obtained for this post. Cover art, book description, and any excerpts are courtesy of the author, publisher, or PR firm. Book Trailers are a free feature. All videos are provided by the author who has granted My Life. One Story at a Time. permission to post them on this blog. The views, beliefs, and opinions expressed by guest post authors are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views, beliefs, or opinions of My Life. One Story at a Time. My Life. One Story at a Time. is an advertising affiliate with Amazon, a small fee is earned when purchases are made using the above links.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.