Monday, April 1, 2013

Only You by Lorna Peel (Review)


Jane Hollinger is single, divorced, and the wrong side of thirty--as she puts it. Her friends are pressuring her to dive back into London's dating pool, but she’s content with her quiet life as a genealogy teacher.

Robert Armstrong is every woman's fantasy: handsome, charming, rich and famous. When he asks her to meet him, she convinces herself it's because he needs her help with a mystery in his family tree. Soon she realizes he's interested in more than her genealogical expertise.

Now the paparazzi want a piece of Jane too. Can Jane handle living -- and loving -- in the spotlight?


Contemporary Romance  

Buy Link:

Excerpt/Buy @EntracedPub 


Lorna Peel

Lorna Peel was born in England and lived in North Wales until her family moved to Ireland to become farmers.She now lives in Ireland, where she writes, researches family history, and grow fruit and vegetables.

Connect with Lorna here:





The Trailer




An Excerpt:
(From author's website)

An hour and twenty minutes later, Jane was sitting in The Crown — a pub she had never been in before — nursing a pineapple juice. Five minutes passed. Then five more. She was on the verge of leaving when she saw Mitch weaving his way through the tables towards her.
“Sorry, Jane. I don’t think I’ll ever be used to contact lenses.” No trace of the Cockney accent. “Let me get you a drink. Same again?”
“Pineapple juice, thank you.”
He returned with two pineapple juices. As he sat down, he went to rub his bloodshot eyes, then clearly thought better of it, and grimaced.
“I’m sorry for deceiving you,” he began. “And I’m even more sorry for frightening you the way I did. I come to the classes straight off the set. Frighten myself sometimes when I look in the mirror.”
“You frighten the hell out of me…” Her voice trailed off as she realized she still didn’t know his real name.
“Robert. Robert Armstrong.” He extended an arm to shake her hand.
Jane stared at his outstretched hand. No, it couldn’t be. He, or rather, the character he played in her favorite TV series, had been the first man to make her blush since Tom had left her. Both Mags and Carol had teased her unmercifully over it.
She continued to stare at his hand. There was something not quite natural about it. Then the penny dropped. It was make-up! Her eyes traveled up his arm. Make-up there, too. Bloody hell, he was covered in the stuff! Every bare patch of skin was lathered in what looked like very pale foundation. Relieved that it was only make-up and not some kind of bizarre skin disease, she reached out and shook it.
“The other night…I was watching The Lady of the Woods.” For the ten millionth time.
“I see. Good. I hope you enjoyed it?”
“It is you, isn’t it – as Simon Moore?”
“Yes, it’s me.”
“Your make up person deserves an Oscar.”
He laughed. “I’ll tell her that!”
“Because you look atrocious.”
“Thank you,” he replied and she flushed.

My Review:

 "Happy Birthday. Must meet for a drink and a chinwag sometime. Best wishes, Tom" 

The book was written by an English author and I find the difference between our languages and "buzz words" fascinating, but at times, the difference makes the dialogue a little difficult to understand.  The book trailer is very good.

In this story, you have the protagonist, Jane Holliger, who having been through a marriage break up due to her husband's inability to stay faithful, trying to learn to trust in love again. In pops a dashing movie star who decides that she is the "only one". Add to the mix a fit-throwing, non-censoring mouth sister and a brother who is not afraid to tell her to "shut-up" and you get the gist of their family dynamics. 

While I thought the characters were not quite as developed as they could have been and the story line a little weak, the author displayed a great sense of humor. 

(After her sister and best friend put her profile on a dating site.) This is what we've said about you." "What?" She grabbed the sheet of paper, almost tearing it. There she was; Jane Hollinger, age thirty-one, divorced, five feed eight inches tall, blue eyes, brown. Like history, cinema, reading and socializing..." "Why didn't you just auction me off on eBay?"

"Jane began to eat, then put her knife and fork down and glanced at the waitress. Four sisters? Four Mags'? No. That didn't bear thinking about."

(And, after falling sick after Robert cooked for her.) "Well, I was just calling to find out if she's feeling okay." "Well, no, she isn't feeling okay," Mags told him. "She says that she will never eat anything ever again. Can I have your name so I can sue you on her behalf as she slowly starves to death?" "I'm sorry?" "Mags!" Jane hissed. Mags swatted her away as if she were an irritating fly. "I mean, what is it with you men? Her husband sumps her by Post-it note for the Ice Queen of Islington and you, whoever the hell you are, try your best to poison her." "Well, actually, I've been ill, too." "Oh, well, there is a God after all, then....Are you still there?" "Yes." "Good. You were the one, who tried to suck all the blood out of her through her neck, too, weren't you? You bloody vampire." Jane wrestled the handset from her and ended the call.

Overall, the book had a nice story-line and the humor kept the book interesting. 




Disclaimer/Disclosure. I received a complimentary copy of this book with no obligation for a positive review. No compensation – monetary or in kind – has been obtained for this post. Cover art, book description, and any excerpts are courtesy of the author, publisher, or PR firm. Book Trailers are a free feature. All videos are provided by the author who has granted My Life. One Story at a Time. permission to post them on this blog.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.