Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Secrets of Organization by Peggy Bishop (Review)

I used to be busy every minute of the day, fall into bed exhausted every night, yet still have unfinished work hanging over my head. I knew there had to be a better way and started looking for tools to help me.










Peggy Bishop

Image of Peggy BishopI was born in Chicago, Illinois, and moved to Tempe, Arizona in 1970 with my husband and our precious 3 year old son. I was in search of a more welcoming climate than the blustering winds and freezing winters I'd endured in Chicago. That move turned out to be one of the best decisions of my life, the hot summers have not been too high a price to pay for the escape from winters icy grip! After our move to Arizona our family grew larger with the addition of a darling daughter and another treasured son.

The reason this book came into being is because I'm lazy! One of the best kept secrets of all time is that the laziest people you know are the ones who get the greatest amount of work done in the shortest time. They want time to enjoy life, so they've learned how to manage their lives in order to achieve the free time that they treasure. That's what I wanted to do, I wanted to play with my children, I didn't want to spend all my time cleaning, shopping and running errands. I only get one life so I wanted to enjoy it!

I began involving my family in household chores, prioritized what was worth doing and what wasn't worth the time, and stopped procrastinating. I wanted time to enjoy my family, home, and friends. Learning how to do the most work in the least time gave me back my life. I love being lazy!

My Review:

I am an organizational guru. Everything in my house has a place and everything is in its place. So, when I was contacted by Peggy to review her organizing book, I lept at the chance. I love to read what techniques other people use, because if you love to organize, especially like me, you can always pick up a tip or two if you keep your eyes open - if not for yourself, then to help someone else.

Secrets of Organization is a well thought out book that has a load of wonderful ideas. Peggy saw a problem (the first BIG step) in her life and developed a system that works well for her and can help many other people add a little organization to their life. I thought her techniques were spot on and actually resembled some of my own - so that was a plus in my book!

The book is organized (of course!) into chapters that make finding problem solutions very easy.  I absolutely loved a paragraph from her introduction and I would like to share it here:

"One of the best kept secrets of all time is that the laziest people you know are the ones who get the greatest amount of work done in the shortest time, who host the most successful parties, and who have the best behaved pets. Don't believe me? It's true. Lazy people don't want to spend hour after hour looking for their keys, cleaning their homes, picking up after their kids, or wandering around the mall looking for that perfect present. They want to get everything done in the quickest time possible so that they have lots of time left for what they really want to do. This (unless you're a true workaholic) is probably not vacuuming, mowing the grass, or cleaning the toilet."

I have to admit, that after reading that paragraph, I sat and thought for a while. I wanted to figure out if that was why I am so organized. The jury is still out!

I also enjoyed this next paragraph, as it accurately describes me and my way of organizing. I have chores set up for each day of the week and when I read this next quote, I chuckled because it is exactly what I was thinking when I set up my own routine!

Our grandmothers did their chores on the same day each week. They might have washed clothes on a Monday, ironed on a Tuesday, baked on a Wednesday, and shopped on a Thursday."

And while my chore list may differ from that of my grandmother's, it is an excellent beginning to start organizing your own routine. As Peggy laments, it is all about establishing routines. I completely agree with the author on this. Why? Because I have routines and they work. When you have a routine, there is no time wasted thinking about what needs to be done, you already know!

If you are looking for a quick read and hoping to gleam a few good organizational skills along the way, this is definitely a good book. 


Secrets of Organization can be purchased from Amazon:




Disclaimer/Disclosure. I received a complimentary copy of this book with no obligation for a positive review. No compensation – monetary or in kind – has been obtained for this post. Cover art, book description, and any excerpts are courtesy of the author, publisher, or PR firm. The views, beliefs, and opinions expressed by guest post authors are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views, beliefs, or opinions of My Life. One Story at a Time. My Life. One Story at a Time. is an advertising affiliate with Amazon, a small fee is earned when purchases are made using the above links.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.