Monday, March 25, 2013

Jaded (Book Two of The Butterfly Memoirs) by M. J. Kane (Excerpt, Guest Post)

I would like to welcome a good friend of mine back today, author M. J. Kane. If you remember, she released 'A Heart Not Easily Broken' a few months ago to tremendous success. She is here today launching Book 2 of the series, 'Jaded'. Congratulations M.J. and welcome to My Life.

The Memoirs Continue….

I am so excited to launch the release my second book, Jaded (Book Two of The Butterfly Memoirs)! The first book in the series, A Heart Not Easily Broken, has been well received. I have been blown away by the wonderful comments and book reviews. I am even more astonished that it has retained the title of Amazon Bestseller in several categories since the day of its release, six months ago!

If you’ve had the opportunity to read A Heart Not Easily Broken, you have met several of the series main characters.  While each book focuses on a different character, the stories are written as standalone, meaning you don’t have to read the first book to appreciate the second. But if you like ongoing stories, then you’ll want to read the first book in order to understand what set of events lead to the next story.

In Jaded, you will get to know the real Yasmine Phillips.  When you first meet her in A Heart Not Easily Broken, she is a woman who is confident in herself and her sexuality. She’s quick to share her opinion, and rarely holds her tongue. She cares about her best friends, Ebony Campbell and Kaitlyn Rodgers, works for her family, and is not into traditional dating.
Though she is a supporting character, her voice is heard in order for you to get to know her intimately, because what happens at the end of the book sets the stage for her story. 
One of my favorite expressions is: Never judge a book by its cover.

Yasmine is a complicated woman. Fans of A Heart Not Easily Broken have said they were not expecting her to react the way she did and were pleasantly surprised that she is not heartless or selfish. Unfortunately, while Ebony finds her Happily Ever After, Yasmine is left broken-hearted, struggling to pull herself together and puts on a brave front.

Jaded picks up two months later as Yasmine deals with the reality of her life. No longer interested in relationships, love is the last thing on her mind. Her focus is about finding herself after years of doing for those around her.  After all, if she can’t find love, then she must be able to love herself.

TRIVIA  QUESTION! What were Ebony and Brian doing when they shared their first kiss?

A devastating breakup leaves Yasmine Phillips in shambles. Unable to trust another man with her heart, she focuses on the one thing she can control—starting her own business.

When her computer crashes, taking months of hard work with it, she must rely on computer genius Zachariah Givens to save her. A complete opposite of men from her past, she doesn't expect the passion that ensues. But just as she finds happiness, she learns the truth about the other women in Zachariah's life.

Buy Jaded

Buy The Amazon Bestseller, A Heart Not Easily Broken (Book One of The Butterfly Memoirs


Dear Diary,

I’ve been called a slut, a ho, easy… and a few other words that I refuse to even write on paper.

Since middle school, people have taken one look at my light skin, grey eyes, and the shape of my body and assumed that’s who I was.


The first three letters of the word described them. How dare they judge me? Nobody is perfect.

It has never mattered what I’ve done in my life. Being the daughter of a bi-racial marriage has always haunted me. With my fusion of graceful features I’d inherited from my white mother - the slender nose, cat-like eyes, vibrant smile - and the take-no-shit attitude of my black father, people didn’t know how to deal with me.

Guys in school wanted to date me as if I were a trophy. Girls hated the color of my eyes and the texture of my hair.

Things got worse as I got older. Why? Because I love my body and I love sex.

But I never used either to earn money or favors from any man. I am a confident, educated woman who goes for what I want, regardless of what anyone around me has to say. If that means I want a good lay every now and then, I’m damn well entitled to it. But one thing I’d never be is a home wrecker.

My philosophy on love and relationships is simple: sex isn’t love, but it’s nice while you’re waiting.

Well, that’s what I used to think before the man that I fell in love with trampled all over my heart.

And raped my best friend.

Love will never happen for me. No man will ever understand me. The real me.

Not my parents, not my brother, not even my best friends.

My life, my experiences – both good and bad - are what define the real me.


TRIVIA QUESTION! What were Ebony and Brian doing when they shared their first kiss?

M. J. Kane

M.J. Kane stumbled into writing. An avid reader, this stay at home mom never lost the overactive imagination of an only child. As an adult she made up stories, though never shared them, to keep herself entertained. It wasn’t until surviving a traumatic medical incident in 2006 that she found a reason to let the characters inhabiting her imagination free.  Upon the suggestion of her husband, she commandeered his laptop and allowed the characters to take life. It was that, or look over her shoulder for men caring a purple strait jacket. And the rest, as they say, is history.

No longer a television addict, if M.J. isn’t reading a book by one of her favorite authors, she’s battling with her creative muse to balance writing and being a wife and mother. She resides in the suburbs of Atlanta, Georgia with her high school sweetheart, four wonderful children, and two pit bulls. MJ can often be found hanging out at the local library where she is director of a local writer’s group, or online connecting with readers and other authors. Other activities she enjoys include: creating custom floral arrangements, assisting her children in their creative pursuits of music and art, and supporting her husband’s music production business, 3D Sounds.

MJ’s debut novel, A Heart Not Easily Broken, Book one of the Butterfly Memoirs, became an instant Amazon Bestseller in Multicultural Romance and African-American Literature and Fiction within hours of publication. It has also spent time on the African-American Women’s Fiction and African-American Romance Bestsellers lists.

You can find MJ on social networking sites, sharing writing tips, talking about music, life, and family. She’s always excited to meet new people. Connect with her via the websites below.  

M. J. Kane

Author of The Butterfly Memoirs
Jaded (Book Two of The Butterfly Memoirs) - Available March 22, 2013

Twitter        Google+        Linkedin

Disclaimer / Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of the book with no obligation for a positive review. No compensation - monetary or in kind - has been obtained for this post. Cover art and book description courtesy of the author, publisher, or PR firm. 

Enhanced by Zemanta


  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

  2. Thank you, Donna, for your continued support!

  3. Love the interview. I became a fan with the first book and the second book Jaded was off the hook good. Nicely Done MJ

    1. Thank you, Sherika! Fans like you make writing worth while!!

  4. I'm so super happy that i finally got my hands on this book.
    So happy for you MJ!!

    caiidynsmommie at gmail dot com

    Still doing my happy dance, LaTanya!!


Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.