Thursday, January 31, 2013

Fruit of My Spirit by Deanna Nowadnick

Fruit of My SpiritIn a memoir of missteps and misdeeds, Deanna Nowadnick writes of the hugeness of God's love and faithfulness. Reframing life in God's grace, she discovers an indescribable, indefinable, inexplicable love that has encircled her without fail through joyous, sad, cringe-worthy, heartwarming, forgettable, memorable moments in life. Fruit of My Spirit is for anyone who's ever questioned God's ability to love and forgive, who's ever wondered about their place in God's family or God's place in theirs. Nowadnick offers hope for those who dare to question, who secretly wonder, and who fear to ask. Through stories of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control, you will experience the enormity of God, too.



The author is giving away a copy of the book to one lucky person!

From the back cover:

Is there really a place in God's heart for a defiant child?
In His divine plans for a self-centered teenager?
In His family for an adult who gets tired and impatient?
 
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 
Galatians 5:22-23 
The Apostle Paul in His Letter to the People of Galatia
 
In a memoir of missteps and misdeeds, Deanna Nowadnick writes of the hugeness of God's love and faithfulness.  Reframing life in God's grace, she discovers an indescribable, indefinable, inexplicable love that has encircled her without fail through joyous, sad, cringe-worthy, heartwarming, forgettable, memorable moments in life.

Fruit of My Spirit is for anyone who's ever questioned God's ability to love and forgive, who's ever wondered about their place in God's family or God's place in theirs.  Nowadnick offers hope for those who dare to question, who secretly wonder, and who fear to ask.  Through stories of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control, you will experience the enormity of God, too.


Deanna Nowadnick

Image of Deanna NowadnickDeanna Nowadnick is a native of the Pacific Northwest. When not writing, she serves at the Client Service Coordinator for The Planner's Edge, an investment advisory firm in Washington State

Deanna is active in her church, playing the violin and editing the newsletter. She loves to knit, adores chocolate, and most important, enjoys a blessed marriage to Kurt. She's also the proud mother of two adult sons. Her first book, Fruit of My Spirit, began as a short story for Kyle and Kevin about how she met their father. It quickly became a much larger story about God's love and faithfulness.

Deanna is currently working on her second book: Signs of Life--Meeting God at the Corner of Grace and Mercy.

My Review:

The author's verbiage grab me right off the bat with "I think I have a pretty good understanding of God's gift of unmerited love and complete forgiveness intellectually. Like any good Sunday School student, I could put together a well-worded essay on the tenets of faith; my head's got it. But my heart's not so sure. I realize now that I've rested in my intellect without finding comfort for my soul. I've reacted to life with the frustrations of a child, the hurts of a teen, and the failings of an adult."

"God has offered me errors and omissions insurance and I'm still opting to fight my own battles in court-day after day after day. I've not only returned His gift of forgiveness unopened, but I've left him waiting in the foyer of my life as I linger endlessly at the pity party for innumerable mistakes."

I think anyone will agree with me about how powerful those words are and the fact that Deanna had the courage to voice those words is amazing. As I read the stories, it was as though I were reading some of my own history and I laughed at some points until I cried. Deanna writes with more honesty and clarity that I think few of us will ever know. She is able to look back on her life and see God's guidance along the way. 

I like the way the book was written in that the author intertwined her life stories with scripture, songs, and poetry to show how God's hands were at work in her life. The culmination of these made reading the book a delightful experience. 

"My whining would have threatened the very livelihood of the determined pioneers and forced them to make the not-so-difficult decision to leave me and my bedroll at the side of the trail. But then God knows that about me. God knows everything about me, how I have to have the same nail polish on my fingers and toes, how I have to wear mascara to get the mail, how I hate to sweat, how I hated camping. In His image He made me, and against the backdrop of all humanity He made me unique and uniquely His. God knew I would try His patience and the patience of my family, teachers, and camp counsellors  God knew He would have to pound out character flaws and recall my attitude. God knew I would be a piece of work."

We are all on a journey to please God, and some of us fail miserably by the end of each day. But, we get up the next morning and we try all over again. Through her journey, Deanna teaches us about our own journey. Thank you Deanna for such an inspirational book.

"My business is to bring others to Christ. To do that, I'm a wife and a mother.
My business is to bring others to Christ. To do that, I help manage a financial planning practice.
My business is to bring others to Christ. To do that, I live in Monroe.
My business is to bring others to Christ. To do that, I grab a latte every morning. I get my nails done every Tuesday, and I play my violin during worship.
My business is to bring others to Christ. To do that, I write."


Now, I ask YOU. What do you do to bring others to Christ?


If you found my review helpful, please consider voting "yes" on my review by following the link below. Thanks!!

http://www.amazon.com/review/R5UUPNWXOCL1Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0983589720&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

GIVEAWAY!!

The author has graciously donated a copy of her book to one lucky person. Just leave a comment to the above question "What do you do to bring others to Christ?" Don't forget to leave your email in case you are that lucky person. AND, of course it goes without saying that I would love it you followed my blog (but not necessary) as I always have a book or two to give away.

Fruit of My Spirit is available in ebook or book format.
Purchase Fruit of My Spirit by clicking the book icon below. 



Disclaimer / Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of the book with no obligation for a positive review. No compensation - monetary or in kind - has been obtained for this post. Cover art and book description courtesy of the author, publisher, or PR firm. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Donna! I appreciate your time and kind words. I also love your question: what do you do to bring others to Christ? Today I giggled with the latte lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Through friendship and comfort I can share the word of God. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo P.S. I posted the new giveaway yesterday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great book. I understand the "brain's got it; heart not so much" feeling. I feel like just in the past couple of years has my heart fallen in line :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on Book 2 and I have to admit that "brain-heart" thing is persistent.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.