Thursday, December 6, 2012

A Good Kind of Knowing by Kathy Lynn Harris





Title: A Good Kind of Knowing 
Author: Kathy Lynn Harris 
Genre: Women's Fiction

Imagine if Maeve Binchy grew up in Texas and wrote an old-school Larry McMurtry novel. Think Hope Floatsmeets High Fidelity.

That’s how critics are describing A Good Kind of Knowing—from the author of the highly acclaimed and number-one Amazon bestseller, Blue Straggler.

A Good Kind of Knowing is a novel about the power of music and friendship, the relationship two-steps that go on in old Texas dancehalls, and the secret to finding just a little bit of common ground in a world full of distrust.

Sera Taylor's store is the one place in Lakeville, Texas, where individuals from all walks of life share a universal love for music and a respect for the gypsy-like woman behind the antique glass counter. Readers get a taste of the unorthodox connection between Sera and Mack, a young local cowboy and musician, and Sera’s previously untested devotion to her husband Bill. They learn of her relationship with Ruby D., the vibrant but misguided mother of five; with Louie, the shy high school band director; with Beverly, the religious, upper-class socialite; with Antonio, a local bar owner striving to make a life for himself; with Tommy Lee, a rich and directionless gigolo; and with Wes, the only out-of-the closet gay man for miles. As Sera battles a serious illness, the characters must overcome long-held stereotypes to save Sera’s store, and in the end, large parts of themselves.


Kathy Lynn Harris
Kathy Lynn Harris grew up in rural South Texas—and comes from people who work hard, love the land and know how to have a good time on a Saturday night. In 2001, Kathy made the move from Texas to the Colorado Rockies to focus on her writing and soak up All Things Mountain. She lives in a 1920s log cabin with her husband and son, plus two fairly untrainable golden retriever mixes. Kathy has written two novels, three children's books, a lot of bad poetry, short stories, newspaper and magazine articles, and personal essays. Kathy’s blog, You Can Take the Girl Out of Texas, but, can be found at kathylynnharris.com.

Connect with Kathy at kathy@kathylynnharris.com or take your pick of social media channels:

Twitter – @KathyLynnHarris

Playlist for A Good Kind of Knowing:
 http://www.kathylynnharris.com/your-official-music-to-read-by-playlist-for-a-good-kind-of-knowing/
 Buy Links:

 What is being said:
"Her characters are distinctly original--complicated, bold, sympathetic, and captivating."

"The book kept me reading and wondering what was going to happen."

"I've never been to Texas, but after reading A Good Kind of Knowing, it sounds like a place that I to visit."

My Review:
           If you were to read the book blurb, you would notice that the book promises to be a book of great depth, but the blurb really does not give you a clue as to how far you will be pushed (emotionally) by the characters in this book.


          One woman, possessing a great kindness and ability to reach people, is a uniting force in a rural town. She runs a small music store, and thru music connects and earns the respect of everyone, from the town ruffians to country music stars. She is the epitome of the old saying, “Music is the universal language”.

          The writer does a superb job in setting the scene in the small Texas town; people sitting on front porches, calling out to one another, music blaring from the local honky-tonk, filling the night air, and children running barefoot down the street. You have the town holy-rolly and the one down on his luck. Sera and the music store are the common denominator in all of their lives.

          A Good Kind of Knowing by Kathy Lynn Harris is an emotionally charged book. I spent the last third, perhaps even half, of the book sobbing so hard I had to stop reading many times. Perhaps it was only my reaction. I found myself drawn in and completely immersed into the town, into the lives of the people, and especially with Sera. It is a book that reads as life happens. That is a sentence that may not make sense to anyone else, but it describes the book for me. The depth of emotion in the book is unlike anything I have ever read. It is an amazing book.

"You gave me what I wanted and Needed in my life. All I desired was a world that wouldn't fall apart on me - and my sweet carpenter man, you gave me that."

          Once I finished the book, I was so emotionally drained I just sat for a while. Then, I realized that I needed to write a review. My next thoughts were – how do I begin to tell anyone about what this book did to me. It is easy to tell you what the book is about, but it doesn’t stop there. It is a book that exceeds five stars.

"I just realized what peace is. Bill, it was you. You gave me peace."..."You know, I would've been okay with a few minutes here and there of happiness. But you gave me entire years of it, baby."

"And the, with the pain found only when one soul is being torn from another, this man who hid emotion like family secrets, wept. Open, gut-wrenching near-howls. The kind that echoed..."

"See these shoes? Sera always said red could bring you luck. But for me, it was Sera who brought the luck. And now, I guess we're all going to need a little more red in our lives. I know I will."

If you found my review helpful, please consider taking a moment to vote "yes" on my review on Amazon. Thanks!!

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3ISQLLUALOX2Q/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B009V3G93O&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=


A Good Kind of Knowing can be purchased on Amazon by clicking the icon below.



Tour Stops:

December 3 My Escape Book Blog Excerpt
December 4 Her Story Calls  Excerpt
December 5  Happiness, Passion, Love & Faith Timeline to publication      
December 6  Nothing Better Then A  Book  Excerpt
December 7 A Buckeye Girl Reads Review 
                   My Life. One Story at a Time.
December 8 Bex N Books Review
December 9th My Devotional Thoughts Review 
December 10 My Devotional Thoughts  Excerpt





Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Kathy - my apologies on being late with the review. The book is great. I spend too much time crying and therefore it's taking me a while to get through it.

      Delete
  2. Hey Donna -- thanks for stopping by my blog and the follow; I'm happy to return the favor! And since I'm an enthusiastic book reader, I know I'll much enjoy following you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Denise. I hope you enjoy my reviews and will comment often. Donna

      Delete
  3. Hi Donna, I'm so beyond touched by your review! So very touched. I'm so glad you connected so deeply with the story and the characters. THAT is why I write. Thank you for making my day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.