Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I fell off the wagon...the chocolate wagon that is.

cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream and co...
cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream and cocoa powder (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

This morning I fell off the wagon, as in I haven't had a cup of homemade hot chocolate in over two weeks, and I just couldn't function any longer without some.

I have had an awful sinus infection - about the only thing that will bring the South to its knees! And, as I accidentally found out, milk and sinus drip - putting that delicately here - just do not mix - literally. I have awful coughing spasms when I have a sinus infection - so much so that the folks around me want either cross their fingers in an X at me or cart me off to the hospital thinking I have the plague. I literally sound like I'm dying. Once I start coughing, there is no stopping until the fat lady sings. I can't possible stress how much I hate it. I cannot leave the house because I am afraid I'll start coughing!

And, then there is the inevitable - whispering here - accident of the bladder! It is just not fun to be sick.

So, after two weeks of opening the refrigerator tell my old friend Milk hello, I pronounced myself well enough to have a cup of hot chocolate this morning - although those around me listening to me hack might say differently.

Hubby has been battling his own bout of sinus problems and we have often laughed in the last couple of weeks - only to end up coughing - that if it were Halloweenwe could go as the Hackers. Okay - maybe it was just funny to us.

Hubby came to the conclusion that we need a double recliner, because at this time of the year, usually both of us are sick. And, that means, one or the other is sleeping in a recliner and not in bed. When this happens, the other enviably ends up on the sofa because we do not 
like sleeping in the bed without the other. Awe - isn't that cute? There are some night that I do not know why I even unmake the bed; we should just start out on the sofa.

Getting back to my Hot Chocolate recipe - if you love hot chocolate the way I do, you will love this mix. I do not drink coffee, so the 365 days a year when others are drinking their hot cup of Joe that they just cannot live without, I am drinking my cup of delicious hot chocolate.

In a canister, I mix Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa mix with an equal amount of sugar. I shake it and then add a couple of vanilla beans. I have a separate jar with sugar and vanilla beans - the result is a wonderful vanilla sugar that coffee drinkers can also use; and in a 
third jar, Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips. Those are my ingredients.

To make a cup of hot chocolate in the size cup I use - my favorite Mary Englebriet cup - I pour my milk into the cup to measure and then transfer it to a pot. After putting the pot over a low/medium flame - I'm impatient! - I then add 2 tablespoons of vanilla sugar, 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips, and 3 spoons of cocoa mix. I use a whisk to stir while it heats and melts. Pour it into a cup and if you are feeling really brave, add homemade marshmallows or marshmallow creme on top. Then, sit back and enjoy!

Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Hi Donna! I'm having fun reading and catching up on your reviews....I, too, make hot chocolate the old fashioned way - no mixes for me! LOL Your vanilla sugar sounds scrumptious, and I was happily pleased to read that you are a ME fan, too. How I love her fabrics, her notepads, her ...well, you get the idea!
    Hope you and hubby are well now and have a blessed Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.