Monday, October 8, 2012

Until There was You (Review, Guestpost, Excerpt) by Jessica Scott




The Book:  
Until There Was You: A Loveswept Contemporary Military Romance

He plays by the rules, she’s not afraid to break them. Now these two strong-willed army captains will prove that opposites attract . . .
A by-the-book captain with a West Point background, Captain Evan Loehr refuses to mix business with pleasure—except for an unguarded instance years ago when he succumbed to the deep sensuality of redheaded beauty Claire Montoya. From that moment on, though, Evan has been at odds with her, through two deployments to Iraq and back again. But when he is asked to train a team prepping for combat alongside Claire, battle-worn Evan is in for the fight of his life.
Strong, gutsy, and loyal, Captain Claire Montoya has worked hard to earn the rank on her chest. In Evan, Claire sees a rigid officer who puts the rules before everything else—including his people. When the mission forces them together, Claire soon discovers that there is more to Evan than meets the eye.
He’s more than the rank on his chest; he’s a man with dark secrets and deep longings. For all their differences, Evan and Claire share two crucial passions: their country and each other. 

Jessica Scott:

Image of Jessica ScottJessica Scott is a career army officer, mother of two daughters, three cats, three dogs and two escape-artists hamsters, wife to a career NCO and wrangler of all things stuffed and fluffy. She has commanded two companies, served in Germany, Korea, Fort Hood and Iraq, and been lucky not to get fired. She is a terrible cook and an even worse housekeeper, but she’s a pretty good shot with her assigned weapon. Somehow, her children are pretty well adjusted and her husband still loves her, despite burned water and a messy house.

Jessica, The Soldier:
I'm a career soldier, with 16 years in the Army and I love everything about Army life. I joined right out of high school and was promptly shipped off to Germany where I met my husband. I went from Sergeant First Class (E7) to Second Lieutenant (01E) in 2007. Now, I'm a company commander in charge of 130 soldiers, a mom with two young kids who never sit still, and an Army wife, whose husband is back in Iraq.

Join me at my blog, Twitter, and Facebook because the Army adventure never stops!

Jessica, The Author:
Until a few years ago, I had no idea hard writing really was. I'd always written and started several projects over the years, burning out after a few dozen pages. After the War was the first novel I ever finished and it will always hold a special place in my heart because of that, even if it now remains under my bed. Blogging from Iraq landed me a spot on PBS Point of View, tackling tough issues involving women and war. Its an experience I'll never forget. After the War was followed by multiple novels, all pulled from my experiences as an soldier who has lived through both being deployed and being the spouse left at home with the kids. Most of those books will never see daylight.


You can find Jessica online at

Guest Post:
So what makes a spicy heroine? We in romancelandia have a love hate relationship with our heroines. We say we love strong heroines but often that translates into well, less than loveable.

I’ve been surrounded by strong women my entire life. As a woman in the army, strong women have mentored me, development and coached me into being comfortable with myself and not only that but showing me true friendship.

I think one of the things that I enjoy about strong heroines in romance is that they are often loyal friends. And good friends are so rare in real life that when you find them, you should hold on to them with everything you’ve got.

So in UNTIL THERE WAS YOU, army captain Claire Montoya has a rough and prickly exterior like many of the women I’ve grown up in the army with. But the side that people don’t often see is the woman behind the uniform. So often someone who is cold at work has a loving heart but they hide it. Claire is exactly that way. She’s loyal to a fault and consistently ends up disappointed by those around her but few people around her get to see that because she has up so many barriers.

When she begins her cautious dance with fellow captain Evan Loehr, she’s so damaged, she’s afraid to let her barriers down. It’s a lot like that in real life for me as an army officer. I tend to go into new situations guarded and wary until I get a feel for the people around me. Until I know them, I’m, well, less than friendly and outgoing. But once you have my loyalty, you’ve got someone in your corner.

Here’s an excerpt!

Evan saw Claire approaching before she could veer off and pretend she’d been walking toward her own car.
“What was that all about?” she asked, tucking her hands into the back pocket of her jeans.
“Work.” She could hear the lie as it rolled off his tongue. “You always walk up to strange men in dark parking lots?”
She raised her eyebrows. “Yes, it’s a regular habit of mine. How did you think I earn extra money?”
Silence, thick and sweaty, hung between them for a long moment. Then a slow smile spread across Evan’s mouth, followed by an easy laugh. “You’ve got one hell of a way with words.”
“I try.” She pointed to her car over her shoulder. “Guess I’ll see you at work?”
“Probably not. I don’t get up to brigade very often.”
“On purpose?”
“Yeah. It isn’t on my top-ten list of places to hang out.”
She laughed. “Yeah, all we do at brigade is come up with good ideas to screw with you down in the companies.” She studied him, the dark shadows cast beneath his eyes, the tight lines around his mouth. Tension wound its way around her, radiating from him with the same power and confidence he wore like a shield. “Well, then I won’t see you around.”
“No. Probably not.”
Hesitant, unsure of her reception, she took a step forward. Close enough that she could see the faint shadow against his jaw. “Do you ever relax?”
His only movement was a slight flare of his nostrils. “No.”
She took another step. Reached up and placed her hand on the solid wall of muscle over his heart. “Never?”
His lips parted, just a hint. “No.”
His scent was dark and arousing. Making this big man go still and quiet? Powerful. He was wound so tight, tension burned beneath her touch. “So you think this would be a mistake, don’t you?”
“Yes.” His voice was rough.
“Do you ever make mistakes, Evan?” she whispered, her mouth a breath from his.
“Mistakes get people killed.” His words traced over her lips, sending a hot spike of arousal racing through her blood.
“Hmmm.” It was nothing to brush her top lip against his. His chest stopped moving beneath her palm.
His mouth opened, until she could feel his breath mingling with hers. Her blood sang with thick and heavy sensual need. His tongue flicked against hers, an open, hot invitation.


My Review:

        This is an amazing book. Not only do you have a wonderful love story, you see what true friendship is about; those whom you to choose to be your family, those who touch your heart that you would walk through fire for. The author does an amazing job of getting you into the character's heads and hearts. I enjoyed this book with its realistic characters and story line. 

        The author also gives you insight into what life must be like in the Army. I have many questions for the author that I hope to eventually ask and post. It is a thought-provoking story and one of the best books I have had the opportunity to read in a while.

         The author’s characters are people who have demons, just like the rest of us. You felt their pain, their indecision, the lust, the hesitancy to trust and their loyalty. You identified with the characters, because you felt the author was writing about you. She wrote about how people see us, and how different it is from how we view ourselves.

        Until There was You will not let you go once you close the book. I am giving this book five stars. The writing was phenomenal. The characters well developed. I found the book was well edited. I cannot wait to read another book by this author.

If you found my review helpful, please consider voting yes for my review on Amazon by clicking on the link below. Thanks!!

http://www.amazon.com/review/RCOGXZ450X7YS/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B008IU9SSE&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

You can find Until There was You on Amazon:


As per FTC requirements: My Life. One Story at a Time. is an advertising affiliate with Amazon. A small fee is earned when purchases are made using the above link. A free book was obtained from the source mentioned above in order to provide an honest and fair review. The views, beliefs, and opinions expressed by guest post authors are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views, beliefs, or opinions of My Life. One Story at a Time. Guest Posts are offered so authors can share their writing with my audience for their enjoyment.



a Rafflecopter giveaway
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I can't believe there so few ppl in this giveaway!
    My email is: rhomybp(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.