Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Hope's Betrayal (Spotlight, Guest Post) by Grace Elliot


Hope's Betrayal (The Huntley Trilogy)The Huntley Trilogy

One wild, winter's night two worlds collide.

Known for his ruthless efficiency, Captain George Huntley is sent to stamp out smuggling on the south coast of England . On a night raid, the Captain captures a smuggler, but finds his troubles are just beginning when the lad turns out to be a lass, Hope Tyler.

With Hope as bait, the Captain sets a trap to catch the rest of the gang. But in a battle of wills, with his reputation at stake, George Huntley starts to respect feisty, independent Hope. Challenged by her sea-green eyes and stubborn loyalty Huntley now faces a new threat - his growing attraction to a sworn enemy. But a love where either Hope betrays her own kind, or Captain Huntley is court-marshaled, is not an easy destiny to follow.


Grace Elliot

Image of Grace Elliot
Grace Elliot leads a double life as a veterinarian by day and author of historical romance by night. She is addicted to cats and is housekeeping staff for five adorable moggies; Wallace, Gromit, Pilchard, Widget (pictured) and her daughter Noni.

Grace started writing as an escape from an emotionally demanding job and believes all intelligent people need romance in their lives - as an antidote to the modern world.

You can find out more about Grace at her blog.
http://graceelliot-author.blogspot.com
www.wix.com/graceelliot/grace-elliot

Guest Post


Open to Inspiration.

The first full length novel (still languishing on my laptop) I wrote was inspired by the cottage I pass on the way home from work. This white-washed Georgian terrace with wisteria framing the front door was home to the Victorian artist, Lucy Kemp-Welch, who illustrated my favourite childhood book, Black Beauty.

As a girl, I adored Lucy's illustrations and so I was thrilled to find she lived near my current home. Inspired, I visited the local museum to find out more.

In a paper chase of ideas, the more I found out about Lucy, and her extraordinary career, the more I needed to tell her story…and wrote "The Woman Who Paints Horses". (Lucy Kemp-Welch was hugely talented at painting animals but her skill was never fully acknowledged during her lifetime because of sexual discrimination.)

By coincidence, my latest book, "Hope's Betrayal" was also inspired by a Georgian cottage, this time on the Isle of Wight. This red brick terrace, also with wisteria round the door, was home to a fisherman's daughter who was also a notorious a smuggler. [I'm going to tease you and not reveal her real name. One day I intend to write her biography - and don’t want anyone getting there before me!]  Indeed local legend had it that this woman was so beautiful, that when caught by a revenue officer, the lieutenant was too smitten to arrest her and allowed her to escape.

But in real life, this was only the beginning of a remarkable life: our mystery lady married a handsome Captain, became mistress to the father of Queen Victoria, and then moved to France where she seduced an elderly Bourbon Prince, disinherited his sons and was ultimately accused of his murder.

There is enough material in that one life story for several novels, and so my focus for the fictional character Hope Tyler, loosely inspired by our 'mystery' woman, was the dilemma of how not to betray her family when she falls in love with the enemy, Captain George Huntley.
So there we have it, how I find inspiration. So next time you go for a walk, why not keep an open mind for the stories waiting to be told, that are all around you?

If you would like to know more my writing and please visit my blog, Fall In Love With History at: http://graceelliot-author.blogspot.com 


Hope's Betrayal of the Huntley Trilogy is available on Amazon


Eulogy's Secret of the Huntley Triololg is available on Amazon
along with other books by Grace Elliot


Grace is giving away one of books, your choice between Hope's Betrayal, Eulogy's Secret, or A Dead Man's Debt. Just fill out the Rafflecopter:

As per FTC requirements: My Life. One Story at a Time. is an advertising affiliate with Amazon. A small fee is earned when purchases are made using the above link. A free book was obtained from the source mentioned above in order to provide an honest and fair review. The views, beliefs, and opinions expressed by guest post authors are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views, beliefs, or opinions of My Life. One Story at a Time. Guest Posts are offered so authors can share their writing with my audience for their enjoyment.


a Rafflecopter giveaway
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm a new follower of your blog via GFC (rhomy pp), I really like it :)
    Here is my email: rhomybp(at)gmail(dot)com

    and feel free to stop by my blog if you like: www.iknowthatbook.blogspot.com.ar

    It's not as complete as yours but I'm starting! :)
    Btw, I so want to read Hope's Betrayal!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.