Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Crazy Love by Nicola Marsh (Review, Guest Post)

Crazy Love
All's fair in love...and matchmaking!

Sierra Kent doesn’t do love. 
While she embraces the quaintness of her home town Love and delights in matchmaking her clients through her Internet dating agency Love Byte, she doesn’t trust her intuition when it comes to the one emotion that has repeatedly let her down. 

City-slick Marc Fairley, CEO of LA's premier acquisition company, doesn’t have time for Love. 
From the minute he enters the kitschy town he can’t wait to hotfoot back to LA with his deranged mother in tow. 
Instead, he gets roped into the town's Love Fest hoopla, investigates the shady farmer his mom is engaged to, berates his butler for a mad crush on a brash Aussie waitress, and finds himself falling for the brazen red-head who continually baits him.
His life couldn't get any crazier.
Until he discovers in exacting revenge on his father and achieving his lifelong goals, he may lose the one thing he values most...

Can Sierra and Marc create enough sparks to send Love up in flames? 
And prove that winning isn’t everything in the love stakes, it’s how you play the game.

Cupid’s Dating Tips for the Enlightened Male – Don’t expect her to dress like a Victoria Secret girl if you won’t act like a soap opera guy.”

Nicola Marsh
USA TODAY bestselling author Nicola Marsh writes flirty fiction with flair!
She has published 32 books with Harlequin Romance & Presents and sold over 3 million copies worldwide.
Image of Nicola MarshHer first mainstream contemporary romance, BUSTED IN BOLLYWOOD (Entangled Publishing) released to rave reviews, including a nomination for RWA's Romantic Book of the Year 2012. Her second novel for Entangled, NOT THE MARRYING KIND, released July 2012 and features a Vegas bad boy and a brazen LA party planner matched in a marriage of inconvenience!

Her first indie-pubbed contemporary romance CRAZY LOVE released September 2012 and quickly became an Amazon bestseller.

She has a contemporary romance, FALLING FOR FLYNN, releasing with Crimson Romance October 2012 and a Young Adult urban fantasy series with Month9Books launching November 2013 with SCION OF THE SUN. Her YA thriller will release with Harlequin Teen in 2013.

She's also a Waldenbooks and Bookscan bestseller, is a multiple finalist for awards including the Romantic Times Reviewers' Choice Award, HOLT, Booksellers' Best, Golden Quill, Laurel Wreath, More than Magic and has won several CataRomance Reviewers' Choice Awards.

A physiotherapist for 13 years, she now adores writing full time, raising her two little heroes, sharing fine food with family and friends, barracking loudly for her beloved North Melbourne Kangaroos footy team, and her favourite, curling up with a good book!

Nicola loves interacting with readers so you can find her:
Blog: www.nicolamarsh.blogspot.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/NicolaMarsh

Goodreads: www.goodreads.com/Nicola_Marsh

“Cupid’s Dating Tips for the Enlightened Male – Thirty minutes of begging at the end of a date is not considered foreplay.”

Guest Post


It’s worth having faith in some books.
My first indie-published contemporary romance, CRAZY LOVE, is one of them.

I won’t bore you with the long history behind this book but here’s the abbreviated version:
·       Wrote the first version in 2004, found an agent who represented it, book went to acquisition at a ‘BIG 6’ publisher because editor loved it, week before acquisition meeting editor leaves and heads to another company. Requests it there for a series the book wouldn’t fit. Rejected.
·       Agent retires few months later.
·       Book on backburner while I meet constant deadlines.
·       Fast forward several years, another agent loves the book, represents, submits. Editor at ‘BIG 6’ publisher loves it, wants to take to acquisition meeting. Editor leaves following week. Book in limbo, new editor doesn’t want it. (yeah, publishing is full of highs and lows and bizarre coincidences like this one, where 2 editors adored Crazy Love only to leave before acquisition meeting!!!)
·       Book on backburner.
·       Fast-forward few more years to 2012. I submit book to ‘BIG 6’ publishers and other smaller publishers. Interest in book. Revision requests from several.

Here’s where things get interesting.
I’ve been eagerly following the e-book/indie publishing revolution for over a year. Storing away information, joining loops, learning from the experts.
I love traditional publishing but the more I watched other authors take that leap, I knew my time was coming to jump too.

So I did.
I withdrew Crazy Love from submission.
And within a few weeks (after editing and cover design) I took a massive leap and self published my 85000 word contemporary romance to Kindle Select.

I utilized the 5 free days. It hit #1 in the overall kindle store on day 1 and stayed there for the entire 5 days.  I gave away a staggering amount of free books, which I’m still reeling from.

But when Crazy Love came off free that first day, a wonderful thing happened.
I hit Amazon bestseller lists for kindle contemporary romance and for book contemporary romance.
Readers are still buying my book.

I’m incredibly glad I never gave up with this book.
The journey to publication has been exciting and exhilarating and incredibly satisfying!

My Review

“Cupid’s Dating Tips for the Enlightened Male – Acknowledge you don’t look like George Clooney – and get over it.”

All's fair in love...and matchmaking!
       At least that is what Marc Fairley is thinking as he rolls into Love, California. And, Marc, upon meeting Sierra the match making guru of Love Bytes, just as the reader does, finds out that it just ain’t so.

          I thought this was a great book. As well as being a wonderful romance story for the leading characters, there was romance in the air for everyone, even the butler it seems.

“Belle picked up her handbag. “With my luck lately I’d settle for a Martian.” “I hear it’s not the size of the antenna that’s important, it’s the way the Martian wiggles it.”

          The author was so descript in describing the town of Love, that the reader was able to be transported and immersed in the little town. You felt as though you were riding in the car, walking along hilly paths, fishing in a stream, and attending the annual Love Fest with the characters.

“Sierra came across an old Post-it note where Belle had scribbled “GOLF” and stuck it to the bottom of the drawer. Her friend’s motto of “Guaranteed Orgasmic Laid-back Fun” hadn’t steered Belle wrong…”

          The book held many characters within its pages; each one, well developed and entertaining. I enjoyed the humorous “Cupid’s Dating Tips for the Enlightened Male” at the beginning of the chapters. I also like when the female character holds her own, and in this book, Sierra gives as good as she takes. The author also did an outstanding job with the bantering dialogue between all of the characters.

“Has there been much talk about Sierra and me:” Hank cast out. “Pardon my bluntness, but a man can’t fart around here without someone running behind to fan it.” Marc laughed so loud a flock of geese took flight.”

          For me, I found similarities between the book and the movie, Pretty Woman. I felt like I was reading about Julia Roberts and Richard Gere. There is a sleezy Scully who works for Marc Fairley, and the  butler reminded me of the Concierge from the hotel (whom I loved). Then, there’s Flo – picture Mel’s Diner here, and the best friend, Belle. All were great supporting characters.

“Marc struggled to consciousness, wishing the bizarre dream where Sierra was smacking him in the face with a sodden towel would vanish. As his eyes peeled open he found it wasn’t a dream and the large, wet object slapping his cheek wasn’t a towel…”Where the hell as I?” he muttered, sitting bolt upright as the dog started nibbling on his toes.”

          Technically speaking, the book contained few grammatical errors, the characters were developed and likable, and the story line was entertaining and comes to a close without leaving the reader wondering what happens now. With such great characters  you have to give this book a 5*.

“He stilled and she clung to him, her face buried in his shoulder, not willing to stop, not his time. “Kiss me again-“ “We’ve got company.” She raised her head, surprised by the laughter in his voice. She’d expected regret, recriminations, and excuses, not the deep rumbles making him shake. She followed his line of vision and saw Flo’s face pressed against the windowpane, her mouth a perfect O.”

If you found my review helpful, please consider clicking on the following link and voting yes for my review on Amazon. Thanks!  

Crazy Love is available at Amazon

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Enhanced by Zemanta


  1. Hi, nice post. I have been wondering about this topic, so thanks for sharing. I will certainly be subscribing to your blog.hgh

  2. Thanks for a fantastic review, Donna.

    I'm so glad you enjoyed CRAZY LOVE.

    Belle's story is coming up next!


Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.