Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Stalking my prey

        I, for some strange reason - because I don’t normally explain myself - felt the need to explain myself - stranger things have happened - to someone that I had been surfing around the internet visiting their site and such, because they had requested I review their book. My explanation - needed work because as I explained I do not feel the need to explain myself - came off sounding like a stalker - at least to me. Anyway, the person thought it funny and did not in the least think I was stalking and even friended me on Face book - which by way has punished me again, suspended my friend requesting for a month. I can accept requests, just not send any.
English: Statue of Sherlock Holmes in Edinburgh
English: Statue of Sherlock Holmes in Edinburgh (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

       So, getting back to the topic on hand, I decided to come clean. I do investigate those sending me requests to review their books. For me, it is part of the process in deciding whether I review a book.

       First, and foremost, the book has to be a genre I enjoy reading. Second, if you would read some of the requests I receive, you would do some investigating as well - perhaps even hire Sherlock himself. Just a hint here to any authors or would like to be an author requesting book reviews. A request has a better chance of being accepted or even taken seriously, if you actually take the time to address the person by name and send information rather than just links. A book reviewer’s time is as valuable as yours is. And, you are the one asking for the favor of a review. Think of it this way – would you just walk up to someone and toss a book at them, no explanation about what the book is about, and expect them to catch it and read it? I bet you never thought of it that way.

       Back to the subject - not being a rude person and therefore just hitting the delete button - I admit that sometimes I do - I grab my magnifying glass and slap on my Sherlock Holmes hat and surf the net.

       I check out the links they may or in lots of cases may not have included. I check Amazon for the book and sometimes read the reviews. I check out their website to see how they are handling the promotion of their book. I also like to read some of their “other” writing. A person’s website tells a lot about a person. I also check out their face book page and other sites that they have indicated they are on to see how they are promoting themselves.

       I guess in a way, I do stalk those who request I review their book. Hopefully, they have been “stalking” me as well. After all, I hope they have read my Review Policy along with some of my book reviews to see if my style of reviewing and my blog are compatible with the audience they are trying to reach and if my review will help them sell their product.

       What about you? If you are a book reviewer, how do you make your decisions on whether or not to review a book? If you are an author, how to make the decision to contact a reviewer; and once you find a reviewer, what type of letter writer/information giver are you?

       There you have it. My name is Donna, and I’m a stalker, and you read it here first.

As always, thanks for taking the time to visit today!
Be sure to follow so you don’t miss the adventures!


Enhanced by Zemanta


  1. I also check up on Authors sending me a review request. I have gotten a lot lately, more than the usual so I have been extra careful.

    I don't go quite as far. I typically just look up the book and a blog. Though that depends on whether or not they address me by name or not.

    One author went so far as to begin with talking about certain things on my blog, which I thought was awesome. That author clearly cared enough to take the time to know who they were sending their book to.

    Konstanz Silverbow

    1. Thanks so much for commenting! I, too, am impressed when the author mentions my name and some tidbit from my blog. It shows they've there and looked around. I like having my ego stroked just as much as the next guy! lol I am still appalled at some of the emails I receive that are written half-ass (apologize). I can only assume the email reflects their book - then DELETE.

  2. Very funny! And I am GLAD you take the time to stalk people requesting reviews. Don't blame you in the least. It's not stalking, it's due diligence!

    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! If you thought that was funny, wait until you read the next story. I think I scared someone off with my answer! I'm still laughing.

  3. As an author I would not be alarmed to see that a potential reviewer (or anybody, really) had been visiting all of the places where I have an online presence. I create those sites (my website, blog, Facebook page, Amazon Central page, Goodreads, whatever else I can find) because I want to make my book known and I also want to be available if readers want to learn more about me or connect with me.
    When looking for reviewers, I generally check their review policy to see if they are even accepting new books and whether my book would fit into their list of genres, and then I email them to tell them a little bit about my book. I gladly send all my links if requested, but I don't usually include them in the first email because it feels like that might be sort of demanding.

    1. Thanks for stopping by Nicki and commenting. It was nice to hear from such an informed author. I know every reviewer who reads your response will wish themselves lucky enough to be approached by you. Thanks again for stopping by and commenting.

  4. Great post! Just a wee question for (Thursday dare)! if you have looked at my website, what did it tell you about me. agman

    1. What your blog tells me about you is that you are a soft hearted man. You feel deeply. I enjoy reading your posts. To borrow from my blog, most of your stories would be labeled "From the Heart." That is what I see. Thanks for stopping by. I need to work on getting your post ready for my blog. Donna


Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.