Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A Little Bit of Grammar from The Grammar Girl

When Do You Capitalize "the" in Newspaper Names?

When do you include the word "the" in newspaper names. Is it the New York Times or The New York Times?
Unfortunately, the rule is "it depends."
The Chicago Manual of Style recommends always omitting the "the." On the other hand, the Associated Press recommends including "the" when the newspaper itself includes it. The New York Times refers to itself as The New York Times, so you should too if you follow AP style. Likewise, the Chicago Tribune refers to itself as Chicago Tribune , so you shouldn't capitalize "the" when it comes before the name in the middle of a sentence if you follow AP style.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.