Thursday, August 2, 2012

Gracie takes a turn on the treadmill

treadmill (Photo credit: Bitman)

Yes. I’ve been walking on the treadmill.

AND, hanging on for dear life I might add.

       Since the heat down here in the South is so hot it’s makes you want to just sit on the porch with the fan going with a tall glass of iced tea, and nothing much else; I came to the conclusion that this Southern gal wasn’t going to be doing much walking.

       Then, on a trek through the garage, I looked over my shoulder and spotted the treadmill. I began thinking that walking might not be so bad if I turned on the air conditioner and walked in the sweet coolness rather than 1000+ degrees outside.

       Having never used the contraption, it took me a while to figure out that you need a key to turn it on; and you have to plug it in. After I managed to turn the treadmill on, I began to walk, slowly, VERY SLOWLY. Then, I thought, this isn’t so bad, but it sure is boring – and I hate being bored! The first time I used it, I walked a whole ten minutes before I just couldn’t stand the boredom anymore. Then, my mind started to wander and I remembered seeing people on television using their headphones. The light bulb went off and I thought, “Yes! Music!” should help keep me from being bored.

       Yesterday, I managed a whole sixteen minutes – 3 songs on the iPod. AND, I graduated from 2 to 2.5 -that is very slow to slow- in my speed. Today, I walked for twenty minutes at 2.7! And, if that wasn’t enough to brag about, I actually walked with no hands today instead of hanging onto the bars for dear life! It was a little iffy a couple of times as I envisioned myself being hauled off the end as I missed a step.

        I have a habit of hitting random play on the iPod, so it is always a surprise what song comes on next - sort of like having your own radio station. It is amazing that the last song I end up listening to is a Gospel Song, no matter how long I walk. What a way to end my workout and start my day!

       Then, when I got off and started up the steps to the house, I had to back down the steps and get my land legs back. I may never walk outside again. Who ever invented the treadmill, I thank you!

Don't forget to follow my blog. You never 
know what I'll be up to next!  

In words that Gracie Allen might have used, "George?"
"What Gracie?"
"You know, it's funny how you can walk for twenty minutes and still be at home."
George, chuckling, "Say Goodnight Gracie."


Enhanced by Zemanta


  1. Ah, the good life....I'll think of you with envy as I do my walking outside and sweat buckets OH MY WORD....I'm a southern belle and not supposed to sweat. LOL Great post! Keep up the good work!

    1. Hi there Snoodles! Do not think of me with envy. The treadmill was gift. I do my share of walking in the heat and sweating (what an ugly word for a Southern Belle!) It just seems that as of late I get an energy spurt around noon and by then it's way too hot outside, so I am thankful for the treadmill!

  2. Hahahah! Your thought process cracks me up. That's about what it's like whenever I resume exercising. "Oh yah, I'm sweating...Oh yah, I get thirsty...Oh right, I get cramps when I run. That's why I don't run...Maybe I'll do pilates." Hilarious!

    1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Yes, I think my process is a little off compared to most people! lol

  3. A Southern belle admitting she sweats! well! what ever next, love your site be well

    1. Please keep my secret! Oh my goodness, can you imagine if that information was made public! lol

  4. I love your site and your posts! =)
    and I do agree...walking inside sure beats walking outside in this heat!

    I live in Kansas..its been at 100 or more for several days now..

    1. Thanks so much! I am so glad that you stopped by today. Louisiana is almost that hot. Cannot wait until the fall - I hope we have a fall! lol

  5. Give me the outdoors any day! My hubbie wanted to get a treadmill, but we have a small house and it would only fit in the living room. How does one decorate around a treadmill? It would end up being the focal point, so his notion was quickly nixed.

    1. I love the outdoors too, but it is so hot right now. Plus, I have the added benefit of the treadmill being in the garage. We have a quaint little cottage as well and unless we wanted to use it for a bed, there is no room in our home! lol Thanks for stopping by.


Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.