Friday, June 29, 2012

In Love with the Enemy by Brigett Scott






By now, everyone knows that  being from Louisiana, I love featuring Louisiana authors. I have a new Louisiana author this week, Brigett Scott, who has published her first novel. She is from Chackbay, Louisiana, a little town located along Bayou Lafourche in Southern Louisiana. 


In Love with the Enemy

About the Book:


Mira Nicholas is a small town Southern girl dealing with her brother's tragic death. She becomes involved in a mysterious intrigue between two men; hiding their true selves and motives from her. She struggles to do the right thing to save herself from being a pawn in an evil plot with worldwide repercussions.


Image of Brigett Scott

About the Author, Brigett Scott:

I am a Registered Dietitian by day and I have renewed my passion for writing with the completion of my first novel In Love with the Enemy


Brigett is also an assistant professor at Nicholls State University located in Thibodaux, Louisiana.


In lieu of a guest post, Brigett has provided me with Chapter 1 of
The Game Warden's Catch, (where, if you listen closely, you will
catch a little Cajun dialect):

The Game Warden’s Catch

Chapter 1

Jolie Boudreaux patted her grandmother’s back in consolation as the old woman who had raised her cried in mourning and frustration. Her grandmother, Maman Nettie, was crying because of a notice she received in the mail from the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Department. The letter simply stated that she owed $275 to them for a ticket that had been given to her husband three months ago for fish that were too small to keep. Jolie’s papa was a fisherman and trapper and he didn’t care much for the laws that stated which animals he could or couldn’t catch. He was only concerned about feeding his family and making enough money to keep them comfortable. So when he was caught by the Game Warden with the silver tub full of illegally small catfish he didn’t tell anyone. He hadn’t intended on paying the fine. The problem now was that Jolie’s papa was dead. He had died about two months ago and her maman was still mourning him. To be honest, so was Jolie. Her papa had been responsible for teaching her so much about hunting, fishing, gardening, and life in general. He had loved her and she loved him. In her eyes, he was a man to be revered. So she would defend him to the death—even though logically she knew he was wrong about the fish.

“Jolie, what we gonna do? I can’t afford no $275 fine now that your papa is gone.” Maman Nettie said through her tears.

Jolie knew the old woman couldn’t afford the fine. Nettie Boudreaux received about $800 from social security per month. She had a meager savings of a couple of thousand dollars. This was emergency money. The old woman lived alone in a small two bedroom house and watched soap operas and game shows all day. She didn’t have cable television just the basic channels that she received through the old metal antennae on top of her aluminum roof. She didn’t eat anything fancy or expensive, but her income was stretched between utilities and medicines. Jolie helped her grandmother when she could, but as a full-time college student she rarely had enough money from her weekend bartending job to give her grandmother much money. She made good tips but she had to pay her tuition and room and board at the university.

Jolie wasn’t like the other students she went to school with. She was more practical and responsible. She was twenty years-old but she lived more like a thirty-five-year-old woman. She went to class on time and paid attention. She was an excellent student, but her grades in high school had only been good enough to earn her a partial scholarship. Her assignments were done on time and often days before they were actually due. The other students did not like her because she always set the curve in class for tests. Jolie did not let that bother her, because unlike most of them she was there to learn—not to make friends. Her goal was to become a high school biology teacher. Then she could teach at her old high school and move in with her grandmother. She would have enough money for the two of them to live off of and she could repay the old lady back for raising her when her parents died. Maman Nettie and Papa George didn’t bat an eyelash when she needed a place to live. They took her in without question or complaint. She hoped she was a strong enough person to do the same for her grandmother in her old age.

Jolie also had other problems that she kept to herself. She figured she could handle her own issues, hell, she would have to because there was no way her grandmother could get rid of the young man who had been bothering her in the dorm. The boy had made unwelcomed advances toward her and he was having a hard time taking no for an answer. Jolie couldn’t carry her gun on campus so she was going to have to be alert in case the boy did not start backing down soon.

There was one thing that Jolie knew for sure. She wasn’t going to pay for this ticket. Why should she or her grandmother have to pay for her grandfather’s mistake? She just didn’t think that was fair.

“Maman, stop crying. I’m going to take care of everything.” Jolie took the letter from her grandmother’s shaking hands. She turned on Maman Nettie’s favorite game show, The Price is Right, and sat her down in front of the television with an old lace handkerchief, a can of Pop Rouge, and a lemon Hubig pie.

“What you gonna do, beb?” Maman Nettie asked, as she dried her eyes with the worn out piece of lace.

“I’m going to go to that Game Warden’s station in town and talk to Agent Thibodaux.” Jolie looked down at the letter. It included the name of the Game Warden who had given her papa the ticket. She intended on giving him a piece of her mind. What was he thinking giving an eighty year-old man a ticket? He could have at least let him go with a warning.

“Now don’t you go make more trouble, Jolie. I’m sure I can just take a little money from my savings to pay the fine.”

“No, I’m sure I can reason with him.” Jolie was not really sure if she could reason with him, she would probably end up yelling at the man, but she was going to try to be civil. She just hoped she could get him to understand that it was not fair to make her grandmother pay for her grandfather’s crime.
If you enjoyed Chapter 1, you can read more at: http://brigettscott.wordpress.com/

Book Quotes:

After I finished my first degree, my family started badgering me about who I was dating, when I would get married and have babies. After my second degree, most of them gave up talking to me about it. They just talked behind my back, saying that there must be something wrong with me. Everyone talked behind my back except for my mother. She talked to me about everyone else talking about me. 


“Okay, but I’m not getting out of the car. The Rougarou is probably waiting for his next meal.” I remembered the mythical swamp creature as one of the scary tales he used to tell me when I was little. He and Alex were always trying to scare me. They were usually successful. He laughed and agreed to that arrangement.



“Baby, you know I never could resist giving you your way. You are the only woman who ever could get me to do anything that I didn’t want to do.” … “Do you think that most thirteen year old boys enjoy playing Barbie with seven year old girls” he kissed my head and I could feel a muffled chuckle through my hair.



The house was so crowded. Eventually most of the men made their way outside, and the women congregated around Aunt Beth’s large dining room table. Both groups were playing cards. The men were playing Pedro and the women were playing Bourre’. Only in South Louisiana would people be gambling after a funeral. It was good. This was our culture. We celebrated life. They were talking about Alex over their games, and it was bringing them even closer together.



“I do still want to go. I promised my friend I would go,” I explained. “I do love you, William. I’ve loved you all my life. I just need more time.” Who was I kidding? I needed more than time; this decision was going to require psychological counseling and lots of gin.



It took all my strength not to giggle. I could not believe this. Two marriage proposals in one week. I should go out and buy a lottery ticket.




My Review


     The first thing that caught my eye, after hearing the author speak at a local writer's conference, was the cover of the book. I love the black, red, and white cover. It grabs your eye and begs you to open the cover.


     In Love with the Enemy is Brigett Scott’s first novel. The plot was not quite as defined as I had expected, but it was interesting. The book had a touch of fairytaleness, with the protagonist pursued by the two men in her life, one of which was her brother’s best friend that she had been in love with most of her life.



     From a technical standpoint, the grammar was as close to perfect as you will find in a book, and I did not notice any errors. At the beginning of the book, I felt that many of the sentences were too short and perfect; and I found myself unconscientiously rewriting them in my head as I read. As the story progressed, the author's writing relaxed and the book began to flow.



     If you are looking for a good summer beach read,, In Love with the Enemy would make a perfect choice. It is a fairytale type of story, with romance and intrigue with a little suspense thrown in; a quick read, just right for a weekend jaunt to the beach or the camp.




In Love with the Enemy is available in both Paperback and E-book
from Amazon:



AND, Brigett Scott is giving away a signed copy to one lucky
commenter! Just leave a comment with your email so I can contact you.
If you want a second entry - vote for my review on Amazon at this link, and let me
know you did in either the same comment or a second one. THANKS!


Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/review/RWHOW063FM1JA/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=1105076946&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=


Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Boy, just the title makes this book a wanna read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a cute read. Thanks for sharing your review and post. mesreads@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.