Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Flashback by Kyla LoPresti


From Donna, My Life. One Story at a Time.

I received a "follow" on Twitter from someone the other day. Normally, like most folks, I just follow back. This time, something caught my eye. The photo of the person following me was a young girl and when I read her catch phrase, it said that she was a twelve year old author. I was intrigued and followed her link to find out more. It led me to a wonderful web page where I read about the book she has published. The more I explored her website, the more I knew I wanted to feature her on my blog, even though I do not review YA. I hope you take the time to learn about this remarkable young woman, and if you would like to review her book, her contact information is below. 

Flashback (Flashback Series)


Book Blurb (from Amazon):

Isabelle Holloway is not your average teen. As if being reincarnated and having confusing flashbacks about her past isn’t enough. Now her boyfriend Erik is back from her life in the 1800s. Not to mention the man who murdered her has returned to seek his vengeance. Even though her friends want to catch the killer, Isabelle can’t trust anyone. Can they stop him, or will they fail?

Guest Post by Author:

I started writing my book Flashback when I was 11 years old because I had a crazy dream that I was reincarnated.   I began  writing just for my own enjoyment and to help me remember my dreams.  A couple months later I added more and more to my story line and it developed into a novel.  I used a lot of my friends and families names in my book and included many things that actually happened in my life.   I didn’t think I was going to publish it but the more I showed people, they urged me to do it.  I set a goal to have it published before my 13th birthday.  I worked really hard; I even stayed up until 1 a.m. on school nights sometimes when my parents thought I was sleeping.  I learned that anyone (even a kid) can reach their goals if you just put your mind to it and focus.

I am very excited to have my first book published.  I have received very good feedback and support not only from my family, but from the exposure I received from connecting with other writers and readers of young adult novels that I was able to meet on Twitter.  Once the paperback version of my book is printed, I have multiple book signings and events I was invited to attend.  This warm reception has motivated me to continue to do what I love.  I am currently working on the second book in the “Flashback” series.


About the Author:

Image of Kyla LoPresti

Kyla is now 13 years old and attends the 7th grade in West Haven, CT.  She is an avid reader and writer.  Her extracurricular activities include, drama club, choir, volleyball and playing the guitar.  She is being inducted into the National Honor Society on June 1st.  She continues to do well in school all while keeping up with her writing and other activities.  She has a love for reading and music and wants to share her talents with other students.



Excerpt from Book:
Chapter 2: Store

The music blared in my ears; the smell of overly priced cologne and perfume irritated my nose as I pushed aside some hangers on a sales rack.  I was shopping for clothes at Hollister with Evelyn and Rachael.  I felt a presence.  It was almost like there was a ghost there and I had the strangest feeling that I was being watched.  I continued to look through the skirts anyway.  I was totally ticked that they didn’t have my size in the blue skirt, so I had to go with the white.  Like I need any more clothes?

 “Hey Ev, you find that pink sweatshirt yet?” Rachael called from where she was standing, of course, right by the yoga pants.  She desperately wanted those yoga pants, but she only 
had enough money for a belt.             

“Nope, I’ll have to try at the outlets.  Ooh we should go to Victoria’s Secret next, they have lots of yoga pants,” Evelyn joked.   

I laughed.     
          
“Not funny you guys,” She said clutching a pair of sky blue yoga pants in her hands. That made me laugh even more. We got in line getting ready to check out.  I felt a cold burst of air against my neck.  I tensed up.

 “Did you guys feel that?” I asked hoping that I wasn’t delusional.
   
”What are you talking about?” Evelyn asked.                

I quickly turned and saw someone vaguely familiar exiting the store. 

“Just forget it,” I said to them, “I’m just a freak,” I muttered to myself.  I wanted to run out of the store, but I had to pay for my stuff first. Then, I walked up to the cash register.  

Of course it wasn’t a cute guy; it was an annoying preppy blonde girl.

“How are you doing today?”  She asked in some kind of fake Jersey girl accent.   
            
Rachael rolled her eyes and Evelyn put her hand over her mouth trying not to laugh.

I didn’t mean to, but I looked her up and down.  She had on some weird, flowy, black blouse and purple skinny jeans.  She looked like she just hopped out the 1980s.  No, she looked like she could be Justin Bieber’s twin.   I held back a laugh, “I’m great, how are you?” I think I 
mimicked her accent.

“Is this it for today?  We have a huge sale on yoga pants.  Buy two get one half off.”              

My friends and I started cracking up.  Yeah huge sale.  Their yoga pants are like forty dollars each.The preppy girl gave us a look like we were total weirdoes.  Yeah, we’re weirdoes; did she look in the mirror before she left her house? 

“Yeah, that’s all,” I said handing her the skirt and a tank top.

“That will be $70.17.”

“Okay,” I said as I rummaged through my purse looking for my debit card.

She swiped my card and handed it back along with the receipt.

“Thank you,” I said picking up my bag.

“You’re welcome, have a nice day!” She said in her fake accent.

Jeez she’s annoying.  I waited for Evelyn and Rachael to check out.  When they were done, we left and walked to Rachael’s car.  I felt like someone was following me again.   
A fancy silver car sped by us as we got into the car.


This young author has been garnering some terrific reviews:

From Amazon:

"Flashback" was very intriguing. The plot was complex and spellbinding. For a 12-year-old, it was very well written and well thought through! I didn't expect the antagonist to be who it ended up being, and that's a good thing! It was very impressive! I can't wait to read the sequel!
-Kaitlyn Deann, author of "The Witches' Sleep" (Coming this summer)

Spellbinding, intriguing, and so well written!! Your ideas are complex and your presentation impeccable! I will be one of the first to get it when the book comes out. Have to know the rest of the story!
I am so proud to know you, so proud to have been your pre-k teacher. Always knew, even back then, you were destined for great things! Keep following your dreams! So many people are so proud of you! Janet DiPalma

EXTREMELY IMPRESSIVE FOR A 12 YEAR OLD AUTHOR! I CANT WAIT TO FINISH THE BOOK. I WILL BE FIRST IN LINE FOR THE NEXT BOOK IN THE SERIES!

Flashback can be purchased on Amazon:



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.