Saturday, February 25, 2012

For the Love of Love - Love of Food

I was honored to have been asked to write a short story on "Love of Food" for the "Love of Love" series going on on Terri Giuliano Long's site. (See the picture.) I am now posting my story here. There are other stories as well so I am including the link at the end if you would like to go and read more.

Thank you Donna and Terri for inviting me to participate!

Food, A Celebration of Love By Donna McBroom-Theriot

            Here in the South, food is a way of life. We celebrate big. We love big. And, we eat big. We celebrate every occasion with a feast. Lavish banquets are set for weddings. We celebrate Christenings and birthdays with wondrous cakes and bar-b-ques. We celebrate every school graduation from Pre-K to high school with parties.

            We Southerners are famous for our Sunday luncheons that include aunts and uncles, cousins and grandparents. And, when the occasion arises to include friends and extended family, a Boucherie or cochon-de-lait marks the celebration of friendship and love.

            On my blog, I have written stories centered on food. Just recently, Hubby and a cousin joined me in a day of candy making and baking. When we cook, and when we bake, we think of those who will be sharing in the fruits of our labor, a labor of love. We cook for those we love.

            The first way we show our babies that we love them is to feed them (right after the first kiss!) We honor our loved ones with a gathering of closest friends and relatives after we lay them to rest (and we eat.) Life is a celebration of love, and food celebrates love.

            The common thread that winds itself throughout each special occasion in our lives is that they are each a celebration of love, and every celebration includes food. Giving someone food says, “I love you.” Food is always given with a smile, and the knowledge that the giver gave his time and love to you.

            So, whether you receive a box of bought chocolates or a hand-made chocolate tart for this Valentine’s Day, know that the giver is giving with love (and food). Happy Valentine’s Day!


  1. celebrating love with you! Thank you for linking to the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop linky party. Big Hugs and smooches and wishes for a beautiful weekend. P.S. Did you get your entry in for the sweetheart giveaway?

  2. how true!! and in todays fast food culture we seem to have lost the beauty of enjoying a meal together. And eating together is more than just is sharing.
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

  3. I wish I enjoyed cooking more than I do. I'm quite fond of baking - in fact it's a lovely activity my daughter and I share every week together - but actual cooking of meals? Sadly not.

    I do love making a needlessly complicated birthday cake though :D

    How lovely that you got asked to write this!

  4. Thanks so much for the follow, Donna! Following you back as well. :)


Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.