Thursday, January 12, 2012

Come Back to Me by Melissa Foster


Come Back To Me

About the Book:

Tess Johnson has it all: her handsome photographer husband Beau, a thriving business, and a newly discovered pregnancy. When Beau accepts an overseas photography assignment, Tess decides to wait to reveal her secret--only she's never given the chance. Beau's helicopter crashes in the desert.

Tess struggles with the news of Beau's death and tries to put her life back together. Alone and dealing with a pregnancy that only reminds her of what she has lost, Tess is adrift in a world of failed plans and fallen expectations. When a new client appears offering more than just a new project, Tess must confront the circumstances of her life head on.

Meanwhile, two Iraqi women who are fleeing honor killings find Beau barely alive in the middle of the desert, his body ravaged by the crash. Suha, a doctor, and Samira, a widow and mother of three young children, nurse him back to health in a makeshift tent. Beau bonds with the women and children, and together, with the help of an underground organization, they continue their dangerous escape.

What happens next is a test of loyalties, strength, and love.

About the Author:

Image of Melissa Foster

Melissa Foster is the bestselling, award-winning author of three novels, Megan's Way, Chasing Amanda, and Come Back to Me. She has also been published in Indie Chicks, and anthology. She is the founder of the Women's Nest, a social and support community for women, and the WoMen's Literary Cafe. Melissa is currently collaborating in the film production of Megan's Way.

Melissa hosts an annual Aspiring Authors contest for children, she's written for Calgary's Child Magazine and Women Business Owners Magazine, and has painted and donated several murals to The Hospital for Sick Children in Washington, DC. Melissa is currently working on her next novel, and lives in Maryland with her family. Melissa's interests include her family, reading, writing, painting, friends, helping women see the positive side of life, and visiting Cape Cod.

Melissa is available to chat with book clubs and welcomes comments and emails from her readers. Visit Melissa on The Women's Nest or her personal website.

Guest Post from the Author:

Reclaiming Your Life, by Melissa Foster

Do you ever feel like your just "making it through" each day? You run from one stressful situation or looming deadline to another? Do you ever wonder when your life will slow down--and do you worry that it never will? If so, you must be running on that treadmill to my left. See me waving? I'm right there with you. 

I'm what I call an endeavor girl. My mind never rests. I'm always thinking up new ways of doing things and reaching to achieve whatever it is that I invision. This leads to a very rapid lifestyle, between taking care of the family, cooking and cleaning (yes, these often fall behind), maintaining my writing, and growing my online communities, not to mention keeping up a social presence. I made a resolution this year to reclaim my life. I knew it would take babysteps, but I also knew it was extremely important for my sanity. I saw my writing time dwindling away, and my family time was slipping, too. With my active project-oriented mind, I also knew I needed the freedom to explore my ideas. But where was the time? Something had to give. 

Reclaiming my life, it turned out, was not as difficult as I thought it might be. It simply took hard and fast guidelines that I somehow managed to make myself adhere to. I'm a major scheduler, and over the last two months, those schedules had not only not been made, but even the word schedule had been forgotten. My calendars were buried beneath my To Do lists. Not good. 

January second I took out my calendar, weiled my favorite pen, and reclaimed my life. I schedule my writing time, social network time, family time, and I even schedule my phone time. That's right - no phone calls during my writing time unless the caller is in duress. In addition to my scheduling, I then prioritized based on what absolutely needed to be done each day, and what could slip until the next day. I am finally much more in control, and far more productive. My family gets to see me more (without my computer in my lap), my writing is better crafted because my mind is focused, and now...if I can only fit in my exercise, I'd be in great shape all around! 

I can't imagine how my life had slipped away the way it had, and I'm glad I've reclaimed it. If you're feeling like you're on a treadmill, slow down. It's okay to step off for a while, reclaim your schedule, and maybe even your life. 
My Books 
My Website
Follow me, Facebook, Twitter, FB Fanpage
Chat w/me on The Women's Nest
The WoMen's Literary Cafe, Where readers and authors unite! (for men & women) 


Book Quotes:

Beau had gently pushed her back from his chest so he could look into her tear-fllled blue eyes. “Baby,” he said, “what have I told you since we decided that I should take this opportunity?”     Tess looked down at the floor and said in almost a whisper, “You’ll come back to me.”     He tilted her chin up so she couldn’t help but look into his eyes, “And I will. I promise you that.”

How could she tell Kevin that she would know if Beau were gone? She’d feel it, like a dark abyss in her soul. She didn’t feel that emptiness. Beau’s presence still remained in her heart.
“I’m coming,” he whispered.

“There are certain marbles that don’t belong to any group. They’re not noticeably big or small, not solid colors, not easily categorized, but don’t cast them aside. those marbles are the most special ones.” He knew Edham did not understand, so instead he picked up the marbles that had been cast aside and held them close to his chest. “Special,” he said and smiled. He continued, more for his own benefit than for Edham’s. “They’re just finding their way in a big marble world, trying to blend in. it takes a special person to take those marbles as his own. it takes courage and strength to be the one to protect those marbles.”

“I’d marry you every day until the day I die,” she answered.

“You promised me. now you have to keep the promise.” Beau opened his tick palm to find a gold pocket watch. Inscribed on the back were four simple words in a fine cursive script, Come back to me.

A rapid succession of explosions lit up the sky, tearing the helicopter to bits and ravaging Beau’s body. His broken body sailed through the fiery sky.

The first time the coasters had soothed her, she’d been only a child. Her father and mother had been fighting – again.

“I used to be like you, all tied up in knots all the time, rushing from one thing to the next. Then I realized that life is going to happen whether I rush through it or not.”
Beau stood back from them all, watching, and tracing the letter “I”, the shape of a heart, and the letter “U” in his palm.

My Review:

The very title of the book “Come Back to Me” speaks of the desperate longing for someone to return. Beau takes an assignment in Iraq, the one that will finally catapult him to the top in his field and give him the worldwide recognition as a photographer that he dreams of, but he must leave his wife, Tess, behind with only a promise to return.

Beau’s helicopter is shot down over Iraq, but Tess refuses to believe he is gone. She knows in her heart she would feel the loss if he were dead. Friends and family around her go on with their lives even as she steadfastly refuses to believe he is gone. Tess holds on to the promise that he will come back to her, especially as she finds out she is pregnant.

Meanwhile, in Iraq, two Iraqi women on the run, find and nurse Beau back to health. He hangs on a picture of Tess and the promise he made to her, but will he survive the trip out of the Iraq and back home.
Melissa did a wonderful job capturing the Iraqi family’s plight to freedom and Tess’s struggles back home. You can feel the turmoil within Tess as she refuses to give up on her husband even though everyone around her has put Beau to rest and is moving on with their lives.

Beau finally does make it home, but not to the happy homecoming we are all expecting. Expect to laugh and to cry as the words come to life from the pages of this book. Expect the unexpected. This is a book that begs to be read.

This is the third book of Melissa’s that I have read and reviewed. There are so many authors and so many books I want to read, that I normally allow each author one book. Rarely do I read a second. This was one time I am very glad I broke my rule.

Melissa’s books can be purchased on Amazon

You can also enter to win a copy of Come Back to Me by
following this blog on Google+, GFC, or Networked blogs and
leaving a comment with your email address.







Disclaimer / Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of the book with no obligation for a positive review. No compensation - monetary or in kind - has been obtained for this post. Cover art and book description courtesy of the author, publisher, or PR firm. 

Enhanced by Zemanta

7 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading the book "Come Back To Me". It sounds like a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting plot. The read the introduction and it sounds amazing. Togetherness of opposite sex has always attracted me. And this time it is the Husband and Wife. Would be willing to read this story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent review and post.Thank you for participating in the Thursday Favorite Things hop. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the review. These really sound like great reads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The title is very catchy. From your review it sounds like an excellent book. The story seems like one that willpull at my heart and make me think. Thanks for sharing!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This story just grabs you and holds you emotionally hostage throughout the book, back and forth from Maryland to Iraq, from Tess' grief to Beau's struggle to stay alive and safe. You wonder if they will make it back to each other and at times wonder if you even want that for them. If you've lost someone very close, you know that initial feeling that the person is not gone and you refuse to accept it. What if you are right and others convince you to move on? What if that person comes back to you, but you have chosen to move on?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a one of a kind story, all in one I must say. Book is my taste, but rading this kind of story is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.