Monday, November 14, 2011

Blood Money by Brian Springer

Blood Money (A Greg Kelton Thriller)

About the Book:

Jessica Robbins created a vaccine that could cure the human race of one of our most deadly diseases. And what did she get for it? Picked up by a secret government agency and locked away in a safehouse. And the vaccine was squashed as though it never existed.

Enter vigilante-for-hire Greg Kelton. He's hired by an old friend to rescue Jessica but the operation goes awry. Now Kelton's on the run with Jessica stuck to his hip and an ever-increasing bevy of government agents hunting them.

As the noose tightens and they have to take more desperate actions to stay a step ahead of the government, the bond between them tightens, forcing Kelton to face a past that has left him a fractured, wounded man in order to expose a conspiracy that could change the world as we know it.

Combining the fast-moving style of Lee Child's Jack Reacher series with the complex relationships of Dennis Lehane's Kenzie and Gennaro novels, this action-packed thriller explores the darkness residing within us all, the demands of the past upon the present, and the price of doing the right thing, regardless of the consequences.


About the Author:

Brian Springer

Brian Springer has been writing fiction for more than ten years. During most of that time he managed a brick and mortar chain bookstore. In his earlier days he had short stints as a financial planner and a baseball player in the Spanish Professional League. Prior to that, he spent four years at the University of San Diego playing baseball and occasionally going to class. He eventually graduated with a degree in Business Administration, and earned his MBA from USD shortly after. Currently, he lives in California with his wife Kimberley and their two children.

Interview with the Author:

Do you remember the first story you wrote? What was it like?

I totally remember my first story. I've always been over-ambitious, so my first work of fiction was a full-length novel. It was an homage to George Orwell's 1984, set in the time I wrote it, which was 1998. I was bored in Grad School and decided to spend my class time writing a book. It wasn't very good, but it served an important purpose; it proved to me that I could actually finish a novel, which is a huge step in  a writer's development.  

Do you use paper and pen, old-fashioned typewriter, or computer/laptop? Is there a specific place that you like to write?

I usually write on my home computer. But sometimes I like to get started with pen and paper. For some reason it gets my juices flowing more quickly than typing. But once I get rolling alone I need to be typing on the computer to keep up with my thoughts.

What is the best part of writing for you?

The control. There are so many instances in life where you have to do something a certain way because of outside factors, but writing is independent of all that. The only person that has any say in where the story goes is you, and by extension, your characters. There are no ruled to follow except the ones you place on yourself. You are the creator, the arbiter, the made scientist. You creaet the conditions the characters have to negotiate. In a world with an ever-increasing lack of control, writing provides a way to counteract that.

Tell us something about your books.

They're fast, fun reads that strive to be smarter than the average thriller and more character-oriented. Quite a bit of research goes into them but I try  to incorporate it into the story instead of allowing it to bog down the narrative. 

What is something that most people wouldn't necessarily know about you (that you would be willing to share here, of course!)?

 Well, I differ from most of the other writers I know in that I grew up as sort of a jock. I played sports my whole life, including Division I college baseball and a year of professional baseball in Spain after I graduated. Plus I have a Masters in Business Administration. Both are things that don't generally result in a life of writing novels, but I've always been sort of an odd bird.

Top 3 things on your bucket list. 

You know, I've never really thought about it all that much. Off the top of my head, I'd probably say . . . play golf at the Old Course at Saint Andrews in Scotland, play in the World Series of Poker Main Event, and go on a tour of the top-10 amusement parks in America. I'm a huge roller-coaster enthusiast.

 When you aren’t writing, what are you doing? 

My life is very simple. If I'm not writing, I'm either being Mr. Mom, playing a video game, sleeping, or maybe, if I'm lucky, playing a round of golf.

Where can we find you? (sites, links, FB, twitter, author page)

I've got a website: 
I don't tweet all that much but my handle on Twitter is: brianspringer13
I'm also occasionally on Facebook at:!/profile.php?id=100002203162372 

My Review:

This book is full of mystery and intrigue, manhunt, capture, and escape, where the good guys aren’t always the good guys. The book was well written and engaging with a surprise ending I didn’t see coming; and when I say it was at the end, it was literally a few pages in from the end of the book.

The characters were believable and it was obvious the author had done a lot of research into government agencies in order to make the plot pliable. I loved everything about the book. The plot was so well written that it left you believing one side of the story and then the other side. I went back and forth until the plot opened up and revealed itself and what a surprise.

Once again, I found myself intrigued at reading romance scenes written by a man. I am truly amazed at the ability of a man to write a love scene, and only because I have always read romance novels written by women. In my opinion, women all know how to write love and romance, but I sincerely say, “Welcome to the field of love and romance, men. Keep up the good work.” 

You can purchase the book at:

Disclaimer / Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of the book with no obligation for a positive review. No compensation - monetary or in kind - has been obtained for this post. Cover art and book description courtesy of the author, publisher, or PR firm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.