Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My Crazy Life – October 12, 2011 – The Princess gets a Crown

            Yesterday, something happened that I never in a million years – or at least in my lifetime – would happen. I received a crown. No, it was not made of gold and decorated with rhinestones (poor man’s jewels.) It is the same exact color of my teeth and has taken its rightful place in my mouth and not on my head (where, in my opinion, the crown should be.)

            Turns out, my sassy mouth needed a little taming. The fact that I had two weeks to anticipate my crowning just about drove me crazy. I thought about what I should wear and what my acceptance speech should sound like. I finally settled on comfortable attire and said to hell with the speech. I decided that I would be humble (okay - I would make an attempt.)

           I am deathly afraid of needles and my active imagination had the dental techs pinning me down for shots and then producing a huge drill that they hoped to use in my mouth. My dentist, the kind man that he is, anticipated my first question after he announced the news at my regular check-up, and had the good grace not to just fall on the floor laughing. You see, he knows me well. When I asked if there were shots involved and would it hurt, he offered to give me drugs (with a straight face, but I could tell the smile was there.) I declined and decided I would wear my big girl panties when the day came.

            THEN, I scurried out to quiz the tech that would be helping and had her explain the entire procedure – twice. I have never been one for the unknown. Even if it gives me nightmares or scares the begeezes out of me, give it to me straight. Then, I will just close my eyes through the entire ordeal.

            It actually wasn’t that bad. The doctor came in and gave me the shots to numb my mouth. He is very good. He massages the gums as he sinks the needle in and it deadens as it goes. I bruise easily, so my mouth is a little sore this morning, but that’s all. Then, I sat for a while and read until they were ready to start work. This is where my imagination went a little wild.

This is Hubby in the chair. I pressed the up button. I pressed the down button. I pressed the forward button and then I pressed the back button. Wonder why he got mad.

This is the computer model of a patient's mouth showing the tooth that needs work.

This is the crown once it is configured.

This is my very nice dentist and his assistant. They made the entire procedure less scary.

            In order to put a crown on a tooth, the tooth is first shaved down – all around the perimeter – get my drift? For all my anxiety, and me this is torture because as he is grinding the tooth down, I am mentally following the instrument around and around the tooth and freaking out. Of course, the tooth is not that big to begin with and your mouth is only so big, but in my vision, there is a huge drimmel tool grinding a huge tooth – I told you my imagination goes wild! Just picture one of those dumb television shows where they depict the patient strapped to the table and the mad doctor holding the drill. There is where my active imagination took hold.

            After the grinding process, which in actuality, did not take that long, he sprayed the tooth with a powder film. That felt a little odd – like someone had sprayed baby powder in my mouth. Then, the dentist took pictures with a little camera. The images where then fed into a computer program and I was able to watch as he created the crown. I was fascinated by this amazing technology. Once he was satisfied with the image on screen, the computer was programmed to make the crown.

            After the crown was constructed, the technician then fit it onto the tooth and had me bite down on a carbon paper. The carbon spots left on the crown indicated where adjustments needed to be made for my bite. She took the crown off and worked with it until it was perfect. I could feel the difference with each adjustment she made and once it was completed, it felt like my real tooth. I found that part quite tedious, but only because I have problems sitting in one place for so long, and my short attention span was wearing thin. The crown was then polished, baked, and glued in place. The entire process, start to finish, was two hours on the dot.

            It was an educational afternoon. The only downside was that the injections were around three in the afternoon and I could finally feel my mouth around nine last night. Hot cocoa this morning soothed the soreness from the shots and now I am fine.

            Hubby gets his turn this afternoon. Turns out he has to have the crown on a tooth replaced and just so happens, it is the exact tooth I just had worked on; strange coincidence. I have to give him credit too. He came to check on me during the process to make sure that I was okay. That was very sweet of him. I think he was trying to stay awake too. He said he woke himself up with his snoring (I forgot to warn the receptionist.)

            Did I mention that I am such a chicken; I had sealants put on all my teeth as an adult so I wouldn’t have cavities? Oh, yes! I did! I always say, “An ounce of prevention”. (I do know that someone else said it first!) Does anyone out there have a dental story? Let’s share!

Enhanced by Zemanta


  1. Oh, yes, I've had a few of these. No fun. And expensive! But at least my mouth felt better after.

  2. hi! you were so brave - I am so scared of the dentists - something about that chair I think.

    your newest follower here via exposure - hop. you can find me at http://purplechronicle.blogspot.com/

  3. Hi there! You were so brave! V. proud of you. :-) x
    You want some dental stories... Ok, how's these (trying for a record attempt here):
    Age 15, I had to physically sit in a surgery in Germany in tears, pleading with the dentist to remove a weird wisdom tooth which he said didn't need removing. Eventually he relented, then spent TWO hours extracting it as was badly inflamed, broke into several pieces and wouldn't come out. I had his sweat dripping from his brow onto my face. Never forget!
    Age 24, I had an emergency root canal in Oxford (UK) on a Sunday morning by a dentist reeking of garlic but without a nurse. I had to hold my own saliva extraction device while he was fiddling about in my mouth.
    Age 32, when I was highly pregnant, that same badly done root filling gave up the ghost and my tooth cracked clean in half, all the way to the root. The dentist (who is the best dentist I ever had and my current dentist to this day: here's to Paul!) declared it needed to come out, could only give me the minimum numbing stuff (owing to big baby in belly) but did a brilliant job. Nonetheless, I could have done without.
    I get nightsweats when it's time for my routine checkup, always fearing what might happen this time...

  4. Interesting that I should find this blog post today of all days. I'm going in tomorrow to get my bridge adjusted (it's 2 crowned teeth with a false one in between). My bite has been off and causing me problems since I had the bridge put in last Thursday. You were so lucky to get yours done all in one day!


Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.