Thursday, August 4, 2011

Twenty-Five Years Ago Today by Stacy Juba

Twenty-Five Years Ago Today

About the Book:

Should we dig for the truth when Pandora’s Box is a coffin of buried secrets? Kris Langley has always been obsessed with murder. She blames herself for the violent death of her cousin when they were kids and has let guilt invade every corner of her existence. Now an editorial assistant and obit writer, Kris stumbles across an unsolved murder while compiling “25 Years Ago Today” items from the microfilm. Determined to solve the case and atone for the death of her cousin, Kris immerses herself in the mystery of what happened to Diana Ferguson, a talented artist who expressed herself through haunting paintings of Greek mythology.

            Not only does Kris face resistance from her family and her managing editor, she also clashes with Diana’s suspicious nephew, Eric Soares – until neither she nor Eric can deny the chemistry flaring between them. She soon learns that old news never leaves the morgue and that yesterday’s headline is tomorrow’s danger, for finding out the truth about that night twenty-five years ago may shatter Kris’s present, costing her love, her career, and ultimately, her life.

About the Author:

Stacy Juba

Award-winning writer Stacy Juba loves reading novels as much as writing them and has authored titles ideal for book clubs or the beach. Although she specializes in adult mysteries, Stacy has also written books for children and young adults – she pursues whatever story ideas won’t leave her alone.
Stacy is the author of the Amazon bestselling adult mystery/romantic suspense novels Twenty-Five Years Ago Today and Sink or Swim, the mystery short story e-book Laundry Day, the acclaimed patriotic children’s picture book, The Flag Keeper, and the children’s e-book Victoria Rose and the Big Bad Noise. Her young adult paranormal thriller Dark Before Dawn will be released by Mainly Murder Press in January 2012.

After years of working as a reporter, Stacy now concentrates on writing fiction and freelancing. She has produced many award-winning articles for a regional parenting magazine and her nonfiction has appeared nationally inThe Writer and ByLine. Stacy is trained in Reiki, a form of hands-on healing which she practices on friends and family. When not busy with her husband and family, Stacy enjoys doing Tai Chi and reading mystery novels. She is a member of Sisters in Crime and is one of the authors with a featured article included in the organization’s newly revised marketing book for writers,Shameless Promotion for Brazen Hussies. 

You can read more about Stacy Juga at www.stacyjuba.com

Quotes:

“She remembered the grieving process well: walking around as if in warm Jell-O, arms and legs heavy, head difficult to hold up, and crying until numbness froze the tears. Forgetting had disturbed her the most, slipping sway into the calm relief of sleep, then jolting awake in cold horror.”

“Really? What would you say if I told you that it was my fault Nichole was walking alone? That I played a trick? I’ve been carrying that secret for fourteen years, torturing myself, all because you live your life in denial. You run from things, and pretend life is perfect. We’ve all lived by your rules, and I’m sick of it.”

Author Interview:

Do you remember the first story you wrote? What was it like?

My first story was called The Curse of the White Witch, written when I was in third grade. It was a thriller about a kind girl with supernatural powers, who was misunderstood and treated badly by the townspeople. It's odd, as it has some similarities to my paranormal thriller Dark Before Dawn, coming out from Mainly Murder Press in early 2012, but I didn't realize the similarities until recently.  

Do you use paper and pen, old-fashioned typewriter, or computer/laptop? Is there a specific place that you like to write?

I use the desktop computer in my office for writing. I have a laptop and an Alphasmart word processor, but I'm most productive on the computer in my office. I always do my editing with a pen, highlighters and printed manuscript. Somehow, it's easier for me to find flaws in the manuscript when it's printed out in manuscript form.  

What is the best part of writing for you?

The best part is seeing how the story unfolds, and reading a scene over and thinking, Wow, that's pretty good. It's also rewarding when I run into some kind of story problem and then figure out a way to resolve it. 

Tell us something about your books.

I mostly write adult mystery novels with a touch of romance, but I've also written young adult novels and children's picture books. Readers of Twenty-Five Years Ago Today should also enjoy Sink or Swim, which is about a former reality show contestant who attracts a stalker after returning to her normal life as a personal trainer. 

My young adult paranormal thriller Dark Before Dawn is scheduled for release in early 2012, and is about teenage psychics and their mysterious fortuneteller mentor. It's a young adult book, but adults who enjoy paranormal books should enjoy it also.

My children's picture book The Flag Keeper teaches kids about U.S. flag etiquette through a fiction story, discussion questions, flag facts, and cute teddy bear illustrations. I also have another children's picture book called Victoria Rose and the Big Bad Noise, and a third on the way, titled Sticker Shoes. Lastly, I'm working on the re-release of my out-of-print young adult novel Face-Off, about feuding twin brothers who compete on the same high school ice hockey team. I'm also working on the sequel, Offsides. At least one of the Face-Off books should be out this fall. 

What is something that most people wouldn't necessarily know about you (that you would be willing to share here, of course!)?

I'm very holistic and spiritual. I'm trained as a Reiki master, though I don't do it professionally. Reiki is a form of hands-on energy healing.

Top 3 things on your bucket list. 

Ride a gondola in Venice with my husband.
Go back to England with my family and explore more of the countryside.
Go to the movies (or turn on the TV) and see an adaptation of one of my books on the screen.

Where can we find you? (sites, links, FB, twitter, author page)

Web site and blog: http://stacyjuba.com/blog/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/stacyjuba
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stacy-Juba/100155471301
You can sign up for my newsletter by visiting the contact tab on my web site.

When you aren't writing, what are you doing? 

I'm with my family, reading a book, taking a walk, doing Tai Chi, or watching a movie. 

My Review:

            First off, I have to say I absolutely loved this book. I cannot remember how long it has been since I have read a book where the ending and the “who dun it” remained a mystery to me. I am very good at predicting the ending of books after reading the first chapter, but this book was written so well, that I was caught by surprise – and you will be too.

           I enjoyed the way each new chapter led with an event that happened twenty-five years before. We all have a curiosity about the past and I found this tidbit intriguing.

            The book is about a unsolved murder of a young woman that happened in “small-town” America. A young “wanna be” reporter, suffering from guilt over her cousin’s death makes the decision to purge her own life of guilt by helping another family find peace.

           The decision causes chaos and tears families apart. There are many characters in this book, but instead of being mind boggling, it adds to the suspense. The book has love, intrigue, and lots of mystery.

            Don’t miss this page turner! It’s a must read!

Disclaimer / Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of the book with no obligation for a positive review.  No compensation - monetary or in kind - has been obtained for this post. 
Cover art and book description courtesy of the author, publisher, or PR firm.



 If you enjoyed my review, please vote for it on Amazon. Thank you.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the interview and great review! I love mysteries, so I will have to check this one out! Rae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the wonderful review and interview, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. New here, and I really love your site! The book sounds great, and Stacy, nicely done on the bucket list! Looking forward to reading your book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a great book!! Loved the interview. :)
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting everyone. The book was great. You will definitely enjoy it. Please let me know if you review it. I would love to read it. Donna

    Thanks Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, everyone, for coming by and taking the time to read Donna's review, and thanks again, Donna!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.