Friday, August 5, 2011

Awaken the Highland Warrior by Anita Clenney

Awaken the Highland Warrior

About the Book:

            Historian Bree Kirkland has always been in love with the past, but when she accidentally wakes an ancient Scottish warrior who's spent the past 150 years sleeping in her backyard, her present is suddenly fraught with danger. Faelan has awakened from the time vault ravenous--in more ways than one. He grieves for his lost family, wondering who sent the woman to wake him. If she's a demon, Faelan will have to kill her. If she's innocent, she's unleashed the gates of hell in her backyard. Either way they must rely on each other to save their future.

About the Author:

Anita Clenney

Anita Clenney grew up an avid reader, devouring Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books before moving on to mysteries and romance. After working as a secretary, a Realtor, teacher's assistant, booking agent for Aztec Fire Dancers, and a brief stint in a pickle factory (picture Lucy and Ethel--lasted half a day)...she realized she'd missed the fork in the road that led to her destiny. Anita lives in Virginia with her hero and two kids, where she spends her days writing mysteries and paranormal romantic suspense about Secret Warriors, Ancient Evil and Destined Love.


Quotes:

            “A voice brushed her ear. ‘What was lies within cannot be, until time has passed with the key.’”

            “’It lies hidden close to God, in a place where evil can’t trod.’ That’s what it said.”

            “”I won’t do anything stupid,” she said, as if she hadn’t just broken into a demon’s castle and barely escaped with her life.”

            “She was a walking calamity, but Faelan knew she’d never leave unless he forced her, and then she’d mostly likely sneak back. It was safer to have her where he could watch her.”

            ““In my day, women were to be cherished and protected,” Faelan said. “You can protect our backs while we fight alongside you and cherish us when we defeat the enemy,” she said. Damnation. What had happened to the sane world he’d left behind where women minded hearth and home?”

            “What lies within cannot be, until time has passed with the key.”

            “’God grant this warrior’s aim be as true as his heart. Bend time and bring forward, his mate beside him, not apart,’” she said, moving her hands across his battle marks as if reading Braille.”

            “Bree stepped inside, blind to the smiling faces turned toward her, as she searched for him. Her breath caught. His hair was pulled back, highlighting his stunning face. He wore a white shirt, a kilt, waistcoat, and jacket, as did his groomsmen…”

My Review:

            I literally do not know what to say about this book. It ended. I read the last page. I did not want it to end. I read the last page again. It still ended.

            It’s not that the book didn’t come to a wonderful, climatic ending. It did. I just did not want it to end. It was action packed. It was pack with intrigue and suspense. It was packed with a whole lot of beautiful Scotsmen – wearing kilts! And, brandishing swords!

            This story was a wonderful romance, bred over centuries of a Scottish warrior and his mate. Their destiny, decided on by the Gods. But, love at first site, does not always take the easy path. Sometimes, it is plagued with demons and half-lings, greed and violence, and the warrior may also have to save the world a time or two before he and his mate can be joined (at least by a priest.)

            Some storylines are good, but they still just hum along. If Awaken the Highland Warrior were set to music notes, it would be filled with crescendos and the clang of symbols would end the book.

            If you love a good romance, and you enjoy a good battle, and if you do not mind a gargoyle or two, AND you do not mind being kept riveted to your seat – this book is for you. Click on the icon and buy it now. Don’t pass Go, skip Jail, and get it now!

Author Interview:

Do you remember the first story you wrote? What was it like?

 The first story I started writing was what is now the second book in this series. Embrace the Highland Warrior. Originally, it was a romantic suspense, but after I wrote Awaken the Highland Warrior, (which my I started six months later, but my agent said was the book we needed to submit) I realized the first book needed to be part of the series. I revised it, and now it’s so much stronger.

 Do you use paper and pen, old-fashioned typewriter, or computer/laptop? Is there a specific place that you like to write?

 I use a computer, which is in my laundry room, and a laptop which I use when I want to go outside, write in bed, or at my kids sports events.

 What is the best part of writing for you?

The brainstorming. I love to plot. Coming up with the twists and turns of the story is just magical.

 Tell us something about your books.

The series is about a secret clan of Scottish warriors charged by Michael the Archangel with protecting humans from demons disguised among us. The stories are full of romance, adventure, lots of suspense, and humor. Here are blurbs for all three books.

AWAKEN THE HIGHLAND WARRIOR
He's had centuries to dream of her...Mis-adventurous historian Bree Kirkland discovers a 19thcentury Scottish warrior buried in a crypt behind her house. But Faelan, the warrior, isn’t dead. When this chauvinistic warrior awakes, he has no choice but accept the help of this modern-day woman who’s rescued him, but she’s more fearsome than the demon trying to kill him. If he’s not careful, she’ll uncover every secret his clan has bled and died to protect.

EMBRACE THE HIGHLAND WARRIOR
When the powerful demon that left Shay for dead discovers her empty grave, he comes seeking retribution, believing she possesses an ancient book he has sought for centuries. Knowing she can’t fight the demon alone, Shay returns to her clan and the Scottish Warrior who betrayed her…the only man she’s ever loved, where she discovers that betrayal isn’t always what it seems. Sometimes it’s far worse.

UNLEASH THE HIGHLAND WARRIOR
A talisman belonging to Tavis Connor’s brother is the only weapon powerful enough to kill the demon hell-bent on stealing the clan’s Book of Battles so he can destroy the world. But the talisman has been locked in a time vault with Tavis’s brother and won’t open for 150 years. In desperation, the Scottish warrior breaks the clan’s sacred rules and uses another time vault to travel forward so he can protect the book and rescue his brother, or if he’s dead, finish his quest. But when Tavis finally wakes in modern-day New York, he discovers he’s the one in need of help. Anna MacKinley has been searching for her clan’s Book of Battles which has been missing for 150 years, but instead she finds a warrior with no memories who claims he’s come to save the world.    

Being of Scottish heritage, I love reading about the Scottish Warriors. How did you come to write about the Scottish Warriors? 

 In this world I’ve created, there are secret warriors all over the world, but this series deals with the Scottish warriors. I needed Faelan to be very loyal and fierce, and so I decided he needed to be from a highland clan.

When will the next book in the series come out? I would really love to review it. 
The second book, Embrace the Highland Warrior, comes out in November. The third one will be out Fall 2012.

What is something that most people wouldn't necessarily know about you (that you would be willing to share here, of course!)?

I used to be very shy. That tends to surprise people.

Top 3 things on your bucket list.

Get my shopping under control. Get my house organized and clutter-free. And it wouldn’t be bad to hit the NYT Best Seller list.

 When you aren’t writing, what are you doing?

 Reading, getting my kids back and forth to events, or shopping.

Disclaimer / Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of the book with no obligation for a positive review.  No compensation - monetary or in kind - has been obtained for this post. 
Cover art and book description courtesy of the author, publisher, or PR firm.



 If you enjoyed my review, please vote for it on Amazon. Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this wonderful review. It made my night. I'm leaving for a wedding and vacation and will be gone for several days, but I'll try to pop in and look at the comments. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita sent me this wonderful thank you. I don't think she'd mind if I shared!
    Donna, What an absolutely beautiful review! I’m thrilled that you spoke so highly of the story. It really is the story of my heart, so it is so exciting when others really get the story. Thank you so much.

    Thank you Anita! Wonderful book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.