Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Widow’s Walk League by Nancy Lynn Jarvis

            I am very busy these days with the ever-growing stack of books I need to read for reviews. But, there are so many good books out there waiting to be read that I decided to feature books without my review on my site. I have done a little research on each book and found it worthy of being included in this new feature on my blog (worthy according to “Lucy”- meaning I would review the book if my pile were not so high.) The author’s are anxiously awaiting reviews, so if you see a book that captures your fancy, please feel free to contact the author and let them know that you would like to review the book.

The Widow's Walk League (Regan McHenry Real Estate Mysteries)

About the Book:
            Santa Cruz husbands are being murdered.  The local news media is buzzing because a dark-clad figure witnesses describe as Death has been seen lurking nearby each time a murder is committed.

             When new widows start hiring real estate agent Regan McHenry to sell their houses, she discovers all the murdered men have something in common: their wives belong to a walking group called The Widow’s Walk League.  

            No wonder Regan is worried when the group’s leader starts paying special attention to her husband, Tom. 

About the Author:

Nancy Lynn Jarvis

         Nancy Lynn Jarvis was a Santa Cruz, California, Realtor® for more than twenty years. She still owns a real estate company with her husband, but she says writing is so much fun that she has officially retired from being an active agent.

            After earning a BA in behavioral science from San Jose State University, she worked in the advertising department of the San Jose Mercury News. A move to Santa Cruz meant a new job as a librarian and later a stint as the business manager for Shakespeare Santa Cruz at UCSC.

            Nancy’s work history reflects her philosophy: people should try something radically different every few years. Writing is the latest of her adventures.

            She invites you to take a peek into the real estate world through the stories that form the backdrop of her Regan McHenry mysteries. Details and ideas come from Nancy’s own experiences and many of her characters are based on associates and clients she has known — at least they may be until they become suspects, or even worse, murderers.

Author Interview:

Please tell us a little bit about yourself.

            I'm a leading edge boomer who owned a small real estate company with my husband which we wound down in 2008. Our plan was to declare ourselves retired until the real estate market improved.  With new-found time on my hands I got bored and, at 59, decided it was time to do something new with the rest of my life. After twenty plus years as a Realtor, I started killing people instead of selling houses. 
My writing-to-mark-time has become a book series: the fourth book in the Regan McHenry Real Estate Mysteries was just released. I've never had so much fun in my life, and I've enjoyed a variety of jobs. I wake up every morning excited about what the day may bring. I've had adventures I would never have had otherwise and met people from all over the world I would never have known without promoting the books.

When and how did you realize that you wanted to be a writer?

            I never aspired to be a writer, this is a newly discovered passion, something I will do as I age for as long as it's fun and I sell books. I have a struggling artist character in The Widow’s Walk League who says that if his sculptures don’t start selling soon he’s going to write a novel because, “I understand writing is easy and all writers make pots of money.” Fortunately, my expectations for financial reward as a writer have never been high, so it makes it easy for me to enjoy my new career.

What are your hobbies other than writing?

            Summer finds me in my ever expanding organic garden. I finally hired a college student to clear more space so I could add roses and fruit trees. I’m anxious to start planting but I’m waiting to dig in until after an upcoming book signing---who wants a woman with broken nails and stained and scuffed fingers handling their new book? In the mean time, I’ll do needlepoint or read books by some wonderful authors I’ve “met” in online writer’s groups, two other pastimes I enjoy.

Tell us something about your books.

            The books are cozy-style mysteries set in the real beach town of Santa Cruz, California. There are three recurring characters in the books. The protagonist is a real estate agent (write what you know) named Regan McHenry. She’s intuitive, curious to the point of being nosy, and determined, especially when it comes to making sure the police aren’t accusing the wrong person of murder.  

            She keeps promising her husband and business partner, Tom Kiley, a calm and logical man, and her best friend, Dave Everett, a former cop who became Santa Cruz’s police ombudsman after he was forced to give up more active duties when he lost an eye in a shootout, that she won’t get involved in playing amateur sleuth again, but she keeps doing it anyway. 

            Regan isn’t always as good at reading people as she thinks she is; she sometimes gets into trouble. Her detecting makes Tom worry and makes Dave crazy.
You may read opening chapters to get a sense of the books, and you can pick up a copy of the recipe for "Mysterious Chocolate Chip Cookies" while you are there. I created the recipe to go with the books.

What is something that most people wouldn't necessarily know about you (that you would be willing to share here, of course!)?

            I’m normally a quiet, private---albeit opinionated---woman who is terrified of public speaking. But if I’m asked to speak about Regan McHenry Real Estate Mysteries, I turn into a pushy broad who has to be dragged to her seat and told to be quiet. My split personality amazes my friends. 

The Book may be purchased at:


  1. It's amazing to me how real estate seems to breed writers! At least two books I loved last year were written by former realtors. Best of luck with this passion!

  2. Hi Donna!! Hi Nancy! Loved the interview! This series sounds fun and I wish you the very best. I really got a chuckle at "I used to sell I kill people". I bet your humor carries over to your writing!!
    Laurie's Thoughts & Reviews
    Laurie's Interviews

  3. I try to make the books a little humorous, Laurie. Regan and her policeman friend are constantly trying to one-up one another and several characters in The Widow's Walk League have a chance to say and do funny's just who they are.


Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.