Saturday, May 21, 2011

Wingless Book Series (book 1) by Holly Hood

Wingless (Wingless Book Series(Book 1)

Wingless Book Series (book 1)
Published: Mar. 15, 2011 
Category: Fiction, Young adult or teen, Sci-Fi & fantasy

About the Book (from Smashwords):
How do you learn to love death when you are so afraid of it? Eve Cardwell is a beautiful, stubborn eighteen year old girl, who is looking for her true self; she is tired of her "Perfect" family and all that comes with being a part of it. Eve literally stumbles upon a mysterious guy new to the area, while drunk in the woods. She soon finds out that the guy she is falling for is like no one she has ever met. Over time he reveals to her that he is the one part of life that she never wanted to meet yet alone fall in love with, and he takes her along for the ride of her life. Although things become chaotic Eve learns more about herself then she ever imagined. Can Eve really learn how to become the person she has always wanted while trying to be in love with the unlovable? 

Parental Rating (from Smashwords):
This book contains content that may not be suitable for young readers 17 and under. 

Book quotes:

            “…My fear in life was simple – I feared that I would die before I lived. I feared that when I did die, I would have realized that all I was taught was wrong and would be out of luck. …”
            “…Everything has a reaction though, so even when you think you’re not doing something, the simplest thing could be what you were meant to do. Sometimes people lived a short time to help others live. life was a crazy ride…”
            “…My life lesson was simple. Believe with your heart, fear is real, and no one ever is going to make it out by the skin of their teeth. Death may be scary, but there was one thing that death gave us, and that was blindness to not see it coming until it was too late. And now I believed in everything that I was told I was wrong to believe…”

My Review:

            What a strange book. A story of love and a story of independence. A story of good choices and a story of bad choices. A story of loss and a story of gain.
            We meet Eve, a headstrong, independent soul longing to live life on her terms. So much like the brother she lost, she longs to leave her controlling “perfect” family behind and strike out on her own. Alone in the woods after a drinking binge with her best friend, she meets Evan. Time reveals even more of the mystery that surrounds him and she is constantly thrown off balance as she traverses down a path unknown.
            We follow Eve as she moves in with Evan and spends the next few months of her life learning more about herself than she ever thought possible.
            I found the book difficult to follow at times. I felt I was in the middle of one conversation and the next sentence was a different conversation. I do not want to give away any of the contents but I feel this book is better suited for the older YA group than the younger set. There was a great moral aspect to the story in that we are all here for a reason, and just maybe, instead of fearing life, we need to live life. The book was a good read and I recommend it.

About the author (from her Amazon page):

            Holly Hood was born in Toledo, Ohio. She grew up in Toledo just about her whole life, besides the three years she lived in Clarksville, Tennessee with her husband and children before coming back to Ohio. Holly now resides in Sylvania, Ohio. After school, she became a mother; a few years later she was married and enjoying life as a Mother and wife. With three young children to keep her busy, writing had almost disappeared all together.
            Writing has always been a big part of Holly's life since the age of eleven, back then the only thing she needed was a pen and a paper to keep her content. She would write story after story letting her imagination run wild, she never stopped thinking about characters and plots. It was very hard to put the pen down.
            In 2009 Holly finally got the urge to write again, she was determined to come up with a unique story. One that had forbidden love, a story that talked about death, family life, sadness. She wanted to write a book that let the reader inside the mind of someone who had a raw thinking about life. And so she created "Wingless" a book that was just that, a character that hardly had a handle on life, yet had to deal with so much bad in it. Because to Holly she wanted to show that life wasn't always rainbows and butterflies, she wanted to show the bad. But she also wanted to show that even with bad there still could be good. And her character Eve is just that, a tough girl who no matter what keeps pushing forward.
            After finishing her first book, she wondered if she would even let anyone read it. To her it was more a means of venting and she doubted anyone would understand. A close family member not knowing how much Holly even liked writing asked to read it, and within the day, she called her thrilled beyond words at how much she liked the book. With the support of family, friends and even strangers she decided to take Wingless seriously and continue writing it. Everyone was dying to know what happened next, from its creation in November of 2009 to the present there are now five books in the Wingless Series. And her passion for writing is bigger than ever.

Author’s website:

 Disclaimer / Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of the book with no obligation for a positive review. No compensation - monetary or in kind - has been obtained for this post. Cover art and book description courtesy of the author, publisher or PR firm.

This book can be purchased through the following link:


  1. Thanks for this honest review. I'm working my way through book one as well. From what I've read so far, this review hits the nail on the head.

  2. Thank you Elsie. I would love to read your review when you finish the book.

  3. Love u blog! I'm now a follower. and thnks for following my blog as well!

  4. This sounds like an interesting book to read.

  5. Hello! My first visit, will visit you again. I am a new follower. Seriously, I thoroughly enjoyed your posts. Congratulations for your work. If you wish to follow back that would be great I'm at
    Greetings from Rio de Janeiro/Brasil

  6. Thanks for checking out my blog!! I'm now following yours here and on Networked Blogs. And I liked your Facebook page. Mine has one too if you want to check it out! The link is on my blog. Thanks!

    This book sounds good. I'll have to check it out!

    Mickey @ imabookshark

  7. Donna,
    What a wonderful blog, and so many followers. That's a tribute to you.
    I enjoyed looking at the blog today and reading your thorough review of "Wingless"

  8. @ Nelson-I am following your blog. I was intrigued by the language and browsed through not knowing what the words meant and it was quite fun and then I translated it. Thanks for the follow and enjoying my blog.

    @Mickey-Thanks for the follow. I am following and enjoying your blog too.

    @Alexis-Thank you for visiting. I am actually getting ready to read book 2. My curiosity is peaked.

    @Mike-Thank you for enjoying my blog and leaving such nice comments.

  9. I'm always anxious to read a great book. I'm grateful for your blog and your book reviews....


Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.