Monday, May 2, 2011

"Mistakes" - The Authors

From the authors:
A.M. Hayward (Author), L.J. Holder (Author)

A brief look into the minds of the Author’s of Mistakes

We have been asked many times how we came up with the idea behind Mistakes, and we would love to have some crazy story to tell our readers, but sadly it all started with a picture.

I (Amanda) found this incredibly scary looking old door with ominous locks.  It got our minds going, and the story just flowed. Using the news from many of the Texas border towns, we researched the home invasions and kidnappings that have become so widespread.  Many of these stories are even more frightening than anything we could think up, and the story evolved from there. 

Being that I (L.J.) am a native Texan, I was able to bring to the story many of the geographical elements that help the reader understand Maddy’s background.  Dallas, Texas sets up a great backdrop for the culturally diverse lives of our characters.  Not to mention, spending Spring Break in South Padre is a rite of passage for most of the Texan youth. 

Another question we are asked on many occasions is how we co-author when there is an ocean dividing us.  With the help of email, Skype, and much to our husband’s dislike, the phone, we stay in almost constant contact.  There is rarely a day that goes by that we haven’t talked in some form.  We both enjoy bouncing ideas off of each other, and laying out a general plot line together.  From there, we take one chapter at a time.  Write it. Reread it, and then write on it some more.  We both agree that we are definitively our toughest critics.  We feel that the writing is effortless once we get going. However, we do experience the dreaded writer’s block from time to time. When this happens, usually one of us can fill in the gaps.

The Mistake’s Trilogy is the journey of two friends written by two friends.  We both hope our readers enjoy our twisted minds, and look forward to much, much more.  

Come back tomorrow for my review of Mistakes. Do not forget to enter to win an e-book of Mistakes, the first in the Mistakes trilogy. There will be 5 winners!


  1. co-authoring always fascinates me. I give you tons of credit for sharing. Not sure if I could.
    Kudos ladies!

  2. After attending a writer's conference with a friend where the authors put us in groups to come up with a short story, my friend and I quickly figured out that it wasn't going to work with others. The two of us thought we'd be good collaborators but we'd find it difficult to work with an unknown. Perhaps being friends helps? Thanks for the comment.

  3. Hey there. Thank you so much for reviewing our book. We are very thrilled to be a part of your blog. To answer the first post, it most definitely helps that Mandy and I are very good friends. Our personalities are very similar, and it makes writing together so much fun. When we plan out a chapter, we truly work off of each others ideas. It's like a tennis match. She will put out an idea, and I will match it with one of our own. It just works for us. Thanks again. I look forward to hearing about other books from your blog as well.

    L.J. Holder

  4. Donna,

    Just found you through my book giveaways and now I too, am a follower of yours!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat


Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.