Monday, April 25, 2011

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender


The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake: A Novel

Blurb:

            “On the Eve of her ninth birthday, unassuming Rose Edelstein, a girl at the periphery of schoolyard games and her distracted parents’ attention, bites into her mother’s homemade lemon-chocolate cake and discovers she has a magical gift; she can taste her mother’s emotions in the slice.
            She discovers this gift to her horror, for her mother-her cheerful, good-with-crafts, can-do mother-tastes of despair and desperation. Suddenly, and for the rest of her life, food becomes a peril and a threat to Rose. Anything may be revealed at any meal. She cannot eat her brother Joseph’s toast; a cookie at the local bakery is laced with rage; grape jelly is packed with acidic resentment.
            Rose’s gift forces her to confront the secret knowledge all families keep hidden-truths about her mother’s life outside the home, her father’s strange detachment, Joseph’s clash with the world.
            Yet, as Rose grows up, she realizes there are some secrets that even her taste buds cannot discern.”

My Review:

            Can you imagine biting into a piece of food and being able not only to taste and feel the person’s emotions who made the food, but being able to trace the origins of the ingredients back to “the happy cows from California” so to speak.
            To go through life as Rose does, censoring each morsel before she allows it to pass her lips is non-comprehendible. Yet, that is what Rose does; she must make the decision to eat or not eat, to be afraid of what the food will reveal to her and can she live with the consequences of that knowledge? Secrets of the makers of the food foisted upon her that she must guard because no one knows of her “gift” or “curse.”
            She learns eventually that she and her brother have both inherited strange gifts from their father. He has kept his own gift a secret; and, in doing so, Rose and her brother were never able to have a close relationship with him. Rose’s mother has her own secret life that Rose discerns through her mother’s cooking. Rose is sworn to secrecy when her mother realizes that she knows her secret.
            It is a book with strange twists and turns that leaves you guessing and to say anymore about the book would be giving the mystery away.It is funny at times, and sad at other times. It is about the heartbreak that you experience when you love someone and then must keep their secrets. It is a book about the strangeness of our everyday lives.
            I will give you a teaser: watch out for the brother and remember the chair. You will just have to read the book and come back and leave a comment about your thoughts.
            It is definitely a book worth reading and I recommend you add it to your short list. You may purchase the book from Amazon.com by clicking on the icon below. The author's website is intriguing as well. She can be found at www.aimeebender.com


11 comments:

  1. Oh this book sounds good! Will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought it!!! As if my huge stack of books to read this summer wasn't big enough...I just keep adding to it! At this rate I will never catch up!!! But your review sounded so great I had to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for you to read it! I hope you'll both come back and comment once you've read it. Can't wait to hear your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was one book that I just didn't 'get'. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's great to hear other viewpoints on books that I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasloking at this over the weekend and thinking about getting it. Now I will :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dana - I like hearing what others think about the books I read too. My Jane Austen book club just finished Mansfield Park. I think I was the only one who enjoyed it. To me, it read like a comedy. To the others, it was boring.

    Bea - I hope you enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog design, it's so cheery! Thank you for the follow, I'm following you back.

    Nikki
    http://www.prettyopinionated.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! Newest follower from the Follow Me Back Tuesday blog hop! Would love for you to stop by and follow back, whenever you get a chance. Have a great week! (:

    Amber
    http://beautifullybellafaith.blogspot.com

    PS: I also followed you on Networked Blogs (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Donna,
    Thanks for linking up for Follow Me Back Tuesday. I'm your newest follower of your super cute blog :)

    Have a great night & I hope to see you again next week,
    Stacy
    www.sjunkie.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by Stacie. See ya next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book is on my wishlist. Your review sounds great.
    Kero

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.