Thursday, April 14, 2011

Is it me? or, Is it me? That is my question.

            I was at the market again (aren’t we always at the market?) and I am ranting.
           I have an organized way of loading my buggy as I make my way up and down the isles picking up the items on my list. I have never been a person who just tosses into the buggy. I place items carefully so none of them are smashed, smushed, or damaged; this is the way I do things. I can assure you that there is method to my madness (at least in my mind.)
Typical brands of Potato Chips at a superstore.Image via Wikipedia
            Once I arrive at the checkout counter, I have a carefully fine tuned system of unloading and placing the items from my buggy on the conveyor belt. I do not like it when the clerk (especially one who hasn’t even said hello) takes it upon herself to interrupt my perfectly orchestrated arrangements and bag my delicate or otherwise cookies with the onions, my fresh, soft bread with frozen hash browns (my new obsession), and the potato chips with the heavy fruit.
            Is it that difficult to bag the items as the merchandize flows past you down the conveyor belt (especially it they are in little piles?) Does the clerk think I carefully picked out bananas and tomatoes, just to have her carelessly toss them into a bag, and then throw the bag into the buggy?
            I do not think it is me. Do you have any horror stories from the market? 
Enhanced by Zemanta

8 comments:

  1. This is great! I thought I was the only one that shopped like this. Seriously, I am so picky about how things are in my cart. I also keep things on the checkout belt a certain way so that like items are bagged together (ie: frozen, dairy, canned, etc). Makes putting the groceries away so much easier.

    so nice to know i'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My loving sisters have a name for me (but it's not too nice! lol) I prefer to say I'm organized and like you, when I get home, I want to take the bags where they belong - the dry goods to the pantry, the cold to the frig and the frozen to the freezer. I also am far enough from the market that I have to put things in an ice chest to keep them cold and it makes it so much easier when they are bagged together. I have gone so far as to tell the check out clerk, "Please bag the piles separately. Thank you."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is such a pet peeve of mine. I do take the time to organize my items when I put them on the belt- so I don't know why they can't stay that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I place items in my grocery cart very much like you do. Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's nice to meet you. I am following you back via GFC, and I like you on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to both of you for stopping by. Being an organized person should be mandatory for the job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am exactly like you. I place things in my cart the same way and I place my items on the conveyor belt a particular way. It is really irritating when they don't "get it." Especially when someone puts can food with bread. Obviously that is not a good idea. I shouldn't have to tell/show you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get so excited every time someone post a comment on this story! I didn't realize so many people do the same thing! Thanks Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for following my blog. I'm following you now, too.
    I try to keep my frozen stuff all together with my refrigerated purchases. And sometimes they even end up that way by the time they get home! But I also try to think of the grocery clerk. She has probably been on her feet all day and is thinking about getting home to her family. So, unless the bread is smushed flat by the spiral cut ham, I try to let it slide.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.