Thursday, February 17, 2011

What’s on your IPod? Track 4


            Next up on my IPod is “Beer for my horses”, a duet by Toby Keith and Willie Nelson.
Toby KeithCover of Toby Keith
            With the country in crisis, is it any wonder that we don’t all wish for the justice of days gone by? The sheriff (long arm of the law) would gather up a posse’ and head off to round up all the bad guys (“and hang ‘em high in the street, for all the people to see.”) There would then be a quick trial and consequences dealt. Today, we are lucky if there is a trial within five years. And justice, in most cases, can sometimes be difficult to find.
            These days, things are much different. The corruption and crime still run rampant (“…..A man come on the 6 o’clock news saying somebody’s been shot, somebody’s been abused. Somebody blew up a building; somebody stole a car. Somebody got away; somebody didn’t get too far…”) but we don’t find the sheriff out rounding up a posse’. And, too many times, the long arm of the law is part of the corruption (police, judges, bail bondsmen, politicians, etc.)
            “Grandpappy told my pappy back in my day son, a man had to answer for the way that he’d done….”
            I know that I’ll catch a little flack for this, but personally, I find it ironic that Willie Nelson is singing about holding people accountable (but that’s just me,) since he’s been on the wrong side of the law a few times himself. But, I guess it’s whatever floats your boat as the saying goes.
            And, the song does put a clear prospective on justice that is hard to beat. The accompanying music is not half bad either.
            “Ya know justice is the one thing we should all find. You gotta saddle up your boys; you gotta draw a hard line. When the gun smoke settles, we’ll sing a victory tune, and we’ll all meet back at the local saloon. We’ll raise up our glasses against evil forces saying whiskey for my men, beer for my horses.”
            Well folks, I’m off to the paddock; there’s a black stallion waiting to be saddled (this is my blog – remember?)
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.