Sunday, February 27, 2011

How Calypso got her name

John Denver in 1990Image via Wikipedia
John Denver

            I am often told that I do things a little unorthodox; I have to admit that I do. I chose the name Calypso before I even met my puppy. I always knew the next shepherd I would own would be a large one and I wanted a name befitting its legacy. Had she been a he, his name would have been Zeus. Believe me when I say I would have had fewer objections had she been a he.
            I was exploring Greek Mythology names and the stories behind the names. The one name that continuously caught my attention was Calypso. Her story is captivating. Calypso is the daughter of Titan Atlas; and is remembered most for her role in Homer’s Odyssey. She imprisoned the fabled Greek hero Odysseus on her island for seven years before releasing him to return to his beloved wife. Even the offer of eternal life could not hold him.
Jacques Cousteau
            Jacques-Yves Cousteau named his research ship after Calypso. John Denver wrote a song titled “Calypso” as a tribute to Cousteau and his work. (The song and video are on the IPod to the left of this blog. If you take the time to listen to the words, you will find them quite beautiful and poetic.)
            “Aye, Calypso, the places you’ve been to, the things that you’ve shown us, the stories you tell. Aye Calypso, I sing to your spirit, the men who have served you, so long and so well.”
            It defines so well, what animals do for us. They take us to places we never been to. They show us things we have never seen. They give us stories to tell; and they will love us so long and so well if we nurture them.
            I think Calypso is a wonderful, strong name and is the perfect name for her. She is already living up to her name, one adventure at a time, one story at a time.

Calypso, one adventure after another.

Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. We also had a name for our first dog long before we got him. When Jordan and i were dating, we always said someday we'd get a beagle and name him Courage. And surely, as soon as we got married we adopted a lazy, skittish, nervous beagle that we ironically named Courage. We still have our Courage and JoJo makes him more skittish with every passing day chasing him through the house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. I always thought you were a little like me in that way! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to add that I like the name Courage. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.