Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 21 of the 21 Days of Compliments Challenge

              I have reached the last day of the 21 Days of Compliments Challenge. What an accomplishment! This has been a true journey for me, one of great enlightenment. There is a saying (or several) about how many times or days you need to repeat a task or thought before it becomes automatic or before it changes your perspective, or any number of things. There is also an old saying that if you repeat someone’s name three times, you are less likely to forget it or if you use a word three times, it will become part of your vocabulary.
            This left me wondering what would happen if you do something for twenty-one days in a row. I have just completed such a task (in truth, a few extra days) and now know. Participating in this challenge has changed the way I view myself. I am more confident and definitely happier. Spending so much time looking for the good in your self leaves little time for negative thoughts. I have developed a wonderful habit that I definitely plan on nurturing. If I feel myself backsliding, I may just review that very long list at the end.
            Remember the commercial, “this is your brain on drugs?” Well - this is my brain on writing! I was telling a good friend of mine not long ago that my brain feels good. I’m sure that sounds like a strange statement (unless you are me, know me, or know her.) This exercise has forced me to sit down and write each day for twenty-one days. I have never done that before. I did not write any posts ahead of time. I used to spend a lot of time just trying to think of an interesting (in my opinion) topic for a once a week post and I found it interesting that I did not struggle as much while writing the twenty-one days of compliments. I did have many suggestions along the way and that helped tremendously. 
            These past twenty-one days has inspired me. It is not often that any of us take the time to truly look within ourselves and search out the good. We have a habit of always noticing the negative. Imagine doing this experiment with a group of people you work with. I can only imagine what a joyous place it would be for the duration of the challenge.
            I have had such a fun time with this challenge and hearing from friends and family willing to share their thoughts about me has filled my heart. Although I am sure that not everyone is ready, I am off and looking for another writing challenge. My brain is addicted to writing every day. I seem to remember a book I bought that has 365 questions. That should keep me occupied for the next year.
            My 21st compliment on the final day of the 21 Days of Compliments Challenge is after completing this journey, I feel good about myself. I am confident and like the person I see when I look in the mirror. 
            Thank you to everyone who followed along with me on this sojourn.

The Final List:
   1. I am a talented organizer.
   2. I am a good baker.
   3. I am good at commitment.
   4. I am a compassionate person.
   5. I am an affectionate person.
   6. I have a good sense of humor.
   7. I am tenacious.
   8. I am loyal.
   9. I am dedicated to my family and friends.
 10. I am a good mother.
 11. I am an education advocate.
 12. I am a creative person.
 13. I inspire others.
 14. I am a good writer.
 15. I have a zest for life.
16. I am a faithful friend.
 17. I am a fair person.
 18. I make the best damn fried chicken ever!
 19. I am not afraid of admitting I’m wrong.
 20. The gap between my two front teeth is a positive thing.
 21. I am confident and like the person I see in the mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.