Thursday, January 27, 2011

21 Days of Compliments – Day 17


            Today is Day 17 of the 21 Days of Compliments challenge, only four more days of the stories on compliments!
            Seems like just when I think I do not have anything to compliment myself on, something happens during the day. Today was no exception.
            I have arthritis in my hands and today was my checkup with the doctor. Before and after my doctor’s appointment, I had very irritating conversations with the person in billing at Ochsner Hospital.
            For almost a year now, every bill I receive is incorrect. Who has not had that happen? So, every doctor visit I pay the co-pay, it is then incorrectly applied and I receive a bill. Every month I call the billing department, sit on hold for an unbelievable amount of time, speak to someone who just cannot figure out what happen, explain to them how to take the $3 here and the $2.50 from there, etc. and add it all up. Amazingly enough, the total equals the amount of the co-pay, which was not fully credited. (Now, keep up.) Once the light bulb goes off in their itty bitty heads (the electricity shortage – that’s me – turning on light bulbs,) they put the credits in the correct place and then re-bill the insurance company and (hello) the bill gets paid in full. No, this compliment is NOT about being patient. Remember, I am not a patient person.
            Today, after speaking to someone very nice and very helpful, I was directed upstairs to deal with Attila the Hun. She was a bully. I do not like bullies. She made me mad. Does she know she made me mad? Probably not, but when she finds out about the complaint being filed against her, she will figure it out.
            This person thought she was going to bully me into paying something I did not owe (and I truly do not.) I do not think she has ever come across anyone like me before. The story goes like this:

            Donna walks into woman’s office and greets woman. Woman greets back. Woman sits. Donna sits. Donna explains problem. Donna also informs her that the hospital is still billing last insurance company even though we have had a new insurance company for six months. Woman acknowledges this and corrects information in the computer. Woman then says that they will bill correct insurance company and the bill will be resolved. Woman then says her computer shows an unpaid balance from November 2009.
            Woman prints out information and immediately and forcefully tells Donna that she cannot have a copy of the information, she can only “look” at the information. Woman says that Donna owes a balance of $25.00 from the office visit. A quick glance at the paper (that Donna cannot touch) shows Donna that the co-pay was divvied up among other charges and needs to be correctly applied. Woman tells Donna that she must prove that Ochsner did not code the bill correctly. Woman asks if Donna has proof that she paid the co-pay. (If you are still with me –this is where it gets good.) 
           Donna smiles and tells woman that she does indeed have proof. Donna reaches into folder on lap and thumbs through it (all documents are filed in dated order) until she gets to November 2009. Imagine look on smug woman’s face when Donna pulls out “proof.” Not only did Donna have the appointment letter, but also the paid receipt, the debit card receipt, and a recount of the doctor visit all nice, typed up, and stapled; wiped that smug look off bully’s face real quick. The moral of this story will be you DO NOT bully an organized person because you cannot win. We will not bully you back; we will document you to death.

            This woman tried to bully me into paying when I did not owe any money. I can only imagine how many little old ladies or little old men that she has done this to; people who do not save their receipts or people not like me (no dirty names please.) That just makes my blood boil. My situation has not been resolved yet, but it will be. I have another appointment on Tuesday and the billing office is on my To-Do list along with visiting the billing manager who has yet to call me.
            I may not be remembered for anything else, but I will be remembered for my fairness. And, that is what I am complimenting myself on today. I am a fair person and I will fight for fairness in any situation. It does not matter who, what, where, or when.

My List:
   1. I am a talented organizer.
   2. I am a good baker.
   3. I am good at commitment.
   4. I am a compassionate person.
   5. I am an affectionate person.
   6. I have a good sense of humor.
   7. I am tenacious.
   8. I am loyal.
   9. I am dedicated to my family and friends.
 10. I am a good mother.
 11. I am an education advocate.
 12. I am a creative person.
 13. I inspire others.
 14. I am a good writer.
 15. I have a zest for life.
 16. I am a faithful friend.
 17. I am a fair person.

1 comment:

  1. Way to stand up for yourself! So many people are afraid to do that but it is something that my mom always instilled in me. You can't let people take advantage of you! Some people seem to just get off on holding so much power! It's ridiculous! People may come up with dirty names for not letting people bully you or walk all over you, but people like us usually come out the winners because we fight for what is right and fair. I also save all my receipts, it's never let me down!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.