Sunday, January 23, 2011

21 Days of Compliments – Day 13

       Today is Day 13 of the 21 Days of Compliments challenge.
       When my daughters were little, I made smocked and French lace dresses for them. It was a craft where I excelled and the joy on my little girl’s faces when I presented them with a new dress and matching hair bow never failed to warm my heart.
       I remember when Katie-Beth was four years old and I had just completed her latest treasure. She looked at the little dress and then at me with a puzzled look on her face. I truly did not understand where the excitement had disappeared to until she asked me where all the colors were. At that point, I understood, and while stifling a laugh explained that since the secondary fabric had only two colors (green and blue plaid) I could only use blue in the smocked design on the green fabric. She was perfectly fine with this explanation and was just as quick to point out that she preferred her colorful dresses (but she still liked this one. She was never one to turn down a new dress!)
       Most smocked designs are worked with multiple colors of embroidery threads. On the rare occasion when a dress fabric has one or two specific colors, you need to work with those colors. At this point in her life, Katie-Beth had a dress for every day of the month and loved wearing each one. As she outgrew each dress, she would follow me to the cedar chest to insure that it was carefully packed away along with its matching bow.
       My sister, Rhonda, adored the smocked dresses and was inspired to learn the craft and created many dresses for her own daughters. Reading her comment on my blog brought back memories of her coming to visit, fabric and embroidery threads in hand. She always told me I had an instinct about picking unusual thread colors to coordinate with the fabrics. Following my lead, Rhonda was inspired to try her hand at French sewing with laces and she would tell you that her little girls had a sleep time wardrobe of eyelet-trimmed shirts.
       I have to thank Rhonda for the compliment of inspiring others. The compliment brought back many wonderful memories of collaborations between my sister and me. Today, on Day 13, I am giving myself the compliment of inspiring those around me. (Thanks Rhonda.)

My List:
   1. I am a talented organizer.
   2. I am a good baker.
   3. I am good at commitment.
   4. I am a compassionate person.
   5. I am an affectionate person.
   6. I have a good sense of humor.
   7. I am tenacious.
   8. I am loyal.
   9. I am dedicated to my family and friends.
 10. I am a good mother.
 11. I am an education advocate.
 12. I am a creative person.
 13. I inspire others.

4 comments:

  1. your list has some really good and positve tihngs on i love positve lists makes your day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kevin! Thanks for reading my blog also. I have had my days when I think I'm crazy for starting this challenge. It has actually had a wonderful effect on me. I am enjoying looking for the positive each day and hearing from family and friends and blog followers has been enlightening and just enjoyable. It has also been a way of connecting with my authentic self. Hope you continue to follow and post. Thank you again and feel free to leave some positive remarks of your own (about yourself.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were many things you inspired me to do....the hair bows, costumes, craft painting, sewing curtains, dust ruffles, etc. etc. etc. (the list is long) ! I always worried you would think I was "copying" you when in fact I was complimenting you by emulating you. I smocked scotty dog jumpers for my girls like you did for yours too. Many good memories....thanks Sis !!!

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't there a saying about someone copying you as being the best form of flattery or compliment? I think it is. I consider it high praise. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.