Thursday, January 20, 2011

21 Days of Compliments - Day 11

       Today is Day 11 of the 21 Days of Compliments challenge. I was actually drying my hair this morning when my blog idea came to me. You know the saying, “just go to the bathroom and all sorts of ideas come to mind.” By the way, just what does that statement mean? Does the bathroom somehow act as a flushing mechanism for the brain?
       My daughter, Katie-Beth, a teacher, just posted another project on the site . This wonderful website is open to teachers nation-wide to solicit much-needed funds for classroom projects. I have donated to several of her projects and donations big and small help to reach the total needed to complete the posted project. I urge you to visit the site and to explore it. It is important to feed our children’s bodies, but it is also important to nourish their minds.
       Everyone is aware of the crisis our government is currently in and my realization has been if we, as citizens, do not take ownership and responsibility for our children’s education, they will not get an education. Our children are our future. These children, not instructed properly today, due to lack of funds for classroom necessities will one day be running our country. My questions to you are, “Are these the children you want running the country? Are these the children you want making decisions about our health care?” Well, these are the children we are raising today, at this moment.
       I am fortunate to have many teachers as friends. With those friendships comes insight and therefore, responsibility (the saying - we are responsible for what we know.) Talented and gifted teachers are not made, they are born, and I was blessed to have given birth to two of them. However, even the most talented of teachers need classroom supplies in order to do their jobs properly and sadly enough, this is not the case.
       I have had the privilege of visiting the school where my daughter, Katie, is a teacher. I have had the privilege of observing her interacting with her students. She and I have had many conversations about her teaching methods and her responsibilities as a teacher. Katie teaches music, but she also incorporates a well-rounded curriculum into that one-hour music class. While teaching the children a song in a second language (2nd language,) via Smart-Board, she is able to teach the children where the country is located (geography,) the country’s customs, and the instruments they are hearing in the song. As in the case when we visited, she was able to show them a frog that was part of the song. Katie teaches the music notes (math) to the children and in following the music on the page, they learn the words (reading.)

       Many people do not realize the significance of music in a child’s curriculum. The children learn without realizing it and in a very fun manner.
       In spearheading a Back to School Supply Drive for the needy in our area, I have met and spoken with key people at the schools. There are many supplies that they can no longer purchase due to budget cuts; necessary supplies, supplies needed to teach our children. If a child does not have a tablet and a pencil, we cannot teach that child to read and write. And, in some areas of our country, it is just that desperate a situation.
       Therefore, when my daughter posts a project, I am very willing to donate and to ask others to donate. This is a worldwide website. Katie has projects funded by people in Europe and across the United States who visit the site and find her projects worthwhile causes. (The site is open to all subjects, not just music.)
       I have not forgotten about my compliment of the day; please bear with me, I’m just taking the long way around. I see a future where it will ultimately be our responsibility as concerned parents, grandparents, friends, and business communities to take ownership of our children’s education by supporting the schools and our teachers.
       Today, on Day 11, I am giving myself the compliment of being an education advocate, albeit in a small manner.

My List:
   1. I am a talented organizer.
   2. I am a good baker.
   3. I am good at commitment.
   4. I am a compassionate person.
   5. I am an affectionate person.
   6. I have a good sense of humor.
   7. I am tenacious.
   8. I am loyal.
   9. I am dedicated to my family and friends.
 10. I am a good mother.
 11. I am an education advocate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.