Friday, July 2, 2010

A Fairy Tale Come True

Once upon a time, there was a little girl with big blue eyes and blond hair. She was a frail looking little child who felt lost and alone. This little girl suffered a great loss when she was quite young and desperately needed those around her to reach out to her. No one noticed as the little girl retreated into a shell.

If only the little girl’s older sister had not died. If only her sister had been able to fulfill her promise of taking care of her, maybe then, life would have been easier. The little girl needed her sister’s companionship and the safety that love had provided. But it was not to be. As the little girl struggled through life, she found other ways to protect herself. Carefully constructed walls were erected around her heart, like a castle protecting its princess. The drawbridge was drawn and the deep dark moat helped to fortify the walls.

All of her life, the little girl existed in a place of her own, void of the closeness of those who surrounded her. The few times when she gained the courage to reach out beyond her self-imposed barriers, she was greeted with pain. In the end, she found it easier to remain behind the protective walls that surrounded her heart.

Those protective walls helped the little girl survive her lonely childhood. They protected her through lonely teenage years. The walls protected her through tumultuous adult trials. But just as the walls kept the pain at bay, they also kept those in her life at a distance. And even as she nurtured those dependent upon her, she lacked the nurturing that she herself desperately needed.

Then, one day when the little girl, now grown up, was at her lowest, a prince on a white horse road into her life. He arrived in the form of a police officer driving a white patrol car, just as the prince arrived for Vivian in a limo in the movie Pretty Woman. For the first time since the death of her sister, the little girl, now a woman, felt loved and cherished. The prince’s love enveloped and warmed her; and as he showered her with love and affection, the walls that had held her heart bound for most of her life, began to crumble. In the end, the little girl found what she had searched for her entire life. She found unconditional love and someone to take care of her, someone to nurture her.
January 13, 2009


  1. Sounds less like a fairytale for a little girl and more like the love story between a certain someone I know and her real-life prince? Am I right? Oh, how I want to be right ... because this would mean that someone is VERY happy in the Bayou with this astonishing, best beloved man about whom we hear from time to time.

  2. You are right. I wrote that piece back in January. I was in sort of a strange place; neither here nor there, wandering around in my head. I was working my way through an assignment in a book on writing memoir. I am not sure why I posted it.

  3. WOW, Donna! Just....WOW!!!!! I am at a total loss for words. This is amazing and I am SO glad that something told me to catch up on your amazing blog today!


Thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it! I read each and every response, and I love hearing thoughts and opinions from fellow bloggers, readers, and authors. If you have a blog, please leave a link so I can visit you back. Thank you.

I try to answer most comments, so if you would like to read my response, please visit often. Or, just click the "Email follow-up comments to [...]" box before publishing, to receive notification of new comments.

If you have to leave a comment anonymously, don't leave one at all. I will delete it. Own up to your thoughts.